Computer won't recognize portable hard drive

Yes those white and orange ports..

How bout the dark blue(doesnt show in pic as well) down in the right hand beside other used port? Also, are you answering yes to just that question of where to plug sata cable or to both questions with the other pic asking if I need anything more than a sata cable? I am gonna order another enclosure and whatever cables I need to internally install from walmart and return whatver doesnt work or i dont need.
Thanks,
Jon

What was wrong with the laptop? Did it not detect the drive either or did it just die? If it didn't detect the drive and it still spins up, I would suspect a PCB failure or maybe the entire disk. Does it make a repetitive clicking noise?

aPanzerIV said:
What was wrong with the laptop? Did it not detect the drive either or did it just die? If it didn't detect the drive and it still spins up, I would suspect a PCB failure or maybe the entire disk. Does it make a repetitive clicking noise?

The laptop won't do anything but flash the power button light for a split sec when I try turning it on. When I researched that symptom I found that it was likely the motherboard. I tried all the troubleshooting steps for the laptop to try to get it to do anything but all I get is a quick flash of the power light. It is an hp dv6700 which the motherboard failure seems to be pretty common in that laptop. Hard drive just makes a normal spinning noise.

Is the laptop connected to the charger when you tried? You may have accidentally bumped a cord/plug that makes the laptop turn on or accidentally disconnected a wire/cord that turns the laptop on..

Is the laptop connected to the charger when you tried? You may have accidentally bumped a cord/plug that makes the laptop turn on or accidentally disconnected a wire/cord that turns the laptop on..

yes, I have a battery charging light on when it is plugged in. I also tried booting it without the battery in and just plugged in and that didnt work either. I also tried doing a hardware reset(i think thats what it was called) by holding the power button for the x amount of time it told me to and that didnt do anything either.

Well the new enclosure came and I am accessing files!!! I am going to use te enclosure over install it inside the comp since this desktop is ready to be upgraded with a new comp so I will keep the enclosure as and external HD.. Thanks everyone for the suggestions! It appeared instantly this time. First enclosure must of been junk.

Back
Top Bottom