Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 03-22-2006, 11:26 PM   #11
Daemon Poster

Default Re: Computer wont power up

hmm just wondering did u store this pc newhere? maybe you got some condensation and just shorted ur pc.

Old 03-22-2006, 11:38 PM   #12
Golden Master

Sizzling sounds denote something got fried. Do you smell smoke coming from the PSU? Try to smell the vent from the back of the PSU to see if there are traces of burnt smell. Then take a whiff of the CPU. If something did fry, you should be able to smell something.

Old 03-23-2006, 02:40 AM   #13
In Runtime

Send a message via AIM to Reiyoku Send a message via MSN to Reiyoku

I personally think it is a power supply problem, it's the only think that makes sense of because your computer is so old. I'm not sure I mean alot of people agree with me here and alot of people say otherwise, but I'd wait for a few more opinions before you go out and buy or change anything. good luck
Reiyoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 03:26 AM   #14
BSOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock217
I purchased a new computer 4 weeks ago with plans of using a router and connecting my old computer which I would place in my Daughters room.
I hooked up the router today and when setting up the old computer : pluged in the power cord to a surge protector and heard a couple of "sizzling" sounds.Now the old computer wont power up.
What could be the problem?
The computer ran fine when it was being used as my main computer. What effect would having it sit unpluged for 4 weeks have, if any?
I removed the case and looked around for any loose wires but that is about the extent of my expertice.
Thanks.

Replace the Power Supply, same thing happened to me.
HRHunteRHR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 10:49 AM   #15
Baseband Member

If the fans don't turn on the power supply is cooked. Sounds like condensation to me. But, I've got a pc in my living room since 2000, and the PSU is still ticking. Oh, and we don't use Pounds in the US. He's from Ohio, anyways 15 pounds is like 30 bucks here rofl. I would go to a pc shop and get a powersupply from them, go stick it in, and turn it on, if it doesn't boot up take the thing back. Problem solved. (I've done stuff like this before, but not with a PSU.)
ChampMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 08:28 PM   #16
Baseband Member

Thanks for everybodys input.
I ordered a new power supply today, hope it corrects the problem.
Thanks again
Rock217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 08:56 PM   #17
Fully Optimized

if you have questions about setting up the power supply, come back and ask
Old 03-23-2006, 09:43 PM   #18
Golden Master

...and if it turns out that it's not the power supply, RMA it. But if your PC isn't getting any power right now, chances are it is a power supply problem. It got fried somewhere. I actually opened mine up to see exactly where the problem was and sure enough, a little capacitor popped. You can still see the burned marks around that sucker. It's so pretty, but you open at your own risk. Those things store a charge.
Old 03-23-2006, 09:44 PM   #19
Fully Optimized

hell yeah they do, be careful, i had never heard of those "static braclets" or "grounding yourself before workin with it" i just did it, and thank god nothin happend, in fact, half tthe time i was workin on it, it was plugged in, yeah, common sense for me, not so much...
Old 03-23-2006, 09:51 PM   #20
Golden Master

My curious nature got the best of me. I just had to open it up to see the insides. Big glops of capacitors everywhere and metal fins all over the place. There were so much dust build up inside, it's unbelievable. As far as the ground straps, I have never used one in my life. I just go by the rule of thumb and ground yourself by touching a metal chassis somewhere for ground.