Computer Won't Power down

jujugiants

Solid State Member
I can't turn off my home computer (eMachines T6520), either by the Turn Off option or by hitting the power button on the actual tower. I emailed eMachines about the problem (I did unplug the machine and was then able to turn it off after it rebooted, but I had already sent the email).

eMachines suggested using the restore cd to run a non-destructive restore cd or a full restore in order to reinstall drivers / apps ; does it make sense? I saw on a couple of websites that this has been a problem with this machine (or if it can be turned off it comes on by itself) and turned out to be problem with the power source of the machine (which required sending the machine back to eMachine and waiting for them to ship new one).

That sounds like a more possible answer than system recovery etc. to me.
Appreciate any thoughts. Thanks

It might've been an O/S problem with the 'Turn Off' feature in the O/S not working. But, the fact that the button on the actual case does not turn it off, leads more to a hardware issue. If you shut the PC down by using manual override, such as unplugging it, does it turn back on with that button, or does the button seem entirely unfunctional? My advice is to call Emachines and express to them, so that they understand, that the button on the CASE is not working to turn it off.. That is not an O/S problem.

If your somewhat experienced, go into BIOS and see if 'Soft Power Down' is disabled, or enabled.

Instructions to boot into BIOS for your computer can probally be found on BIOS, but most computers use DEL for example. (Click DEL continuously).

I do not advise you to use BIOS if your not experienced!

emachines gotta sort out these problems my pc did the same when i got it. I recomned u Format ur disc (start fresh) that worked for me make sure u back up ur files u want to keep and uve got or ur CD's to install you got with it such as Virus Protection and Added hardware.

Also try to keep your pc clean of any stupid programs and spyware and scan for viruses regulary. It works for me hope it works for u.

Back
Top Bottom