Computer won't power on...

TheCrowe14

Solid State Member
http://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/wishlist/PublicWishDetail.asp?WishListNumber=5269832

I recently bought all of those parts. I assembled them, and also included an Nvidia 7600gt and a pci wireless card. I have checked, and everything looks to be installed properly, and everyting is plugged into the power supply. I can't get the computer to turn on, however. My power supply has an on/off switch on the back of it. When I turn it on, it goes into "standby mode". Do all power supplies do this? Can I use the on/off switch on the power supply to turn my computer on or off?

There is also (obviously) a power switch on my case. I believe I have it plugged into the correct spot on the motherboard, but when I push it nothing happens. The only way I can get any kind of respons from the computer is when I wiggle the main power connecter (the big 24-pin one). When I wiggle it, I hear a whistling sound and the fans kick on. They stay on as long as I continue to wiggle the plug. Anybody have any ideas as to what might be causing this? Is there a way I can attempt to power on my comptuer without using the button on the case?

put a paperclip inside of the hole for the green wire and a black one(any one will do) on the main connector and turn the PSU on. if it turns on then more than likely your power switch is not in the right spot. if it is then take that same paperclip and short the 2 pins. if that turns it on then you got a bad power switch. i had this probelm turned out just to be a bad switch :p

yh do ^ take all of ur pins off for the front panel and short it with paper clip or slightly safer an electric insulaed screw driver . although i have never heard of n e 1 gettin a shock from those jumpers but better safe than sorry

yh do ^ take all of ur pins off for the front panel and short it with paper clip or slightly safer an electric insulaed screw driver . although i have never heard of n e 1 gettin a shock from those jumpers but better safe than sorry

ive shorted it with my saliva on my finger before...nothing :p

Plugged the paper clip into green and black psu connector holes, the fan came on.

Tried shorting the two pins for the power switch, nothing happened. Is it possible the motherboard is dead?

did you put the lilk insulators on first and the risers??? i forgot to do that the first time and it fried my motherboard.

I didn't use any kind if risers/insulators because I didn't see it mentioned in any directions. My mobo is touching the case housing. There are some gold-colored screws that came with my case. They look like they can screw into the case and allow another screw to be screwed into them. I guess I'll take everything apart and try that. If this is my problem, is there a chance the mobo still works?

yh that sounds bout right i built my first build without the spacers aswell luckily enough mine still worked though.

try putting the spacers in adn c wot happens and if not retunr the mobo and make sure u fit the new 1 wiv spacers

it might work but since you just bought it it can be returned and this time remember that.it happens to us all lol

Back
Top Bottom