Computer won't POST

NeciFiX

In Runtime
When I turn my computer on, all the fans and everything turn on, including the video card fan.

However, I receive no power to my monitor. I made sure that the 20+4 pin connector was plugged in and the EATX12V pins were plugged in... before this happened, my computer had a USB error, causing it to shut off in 15 seconds. I took the screws out and then fixed it. The computer is no longer shutting off after 15 seconds.

However, now, the monitor will not turn on. The video card fan is going, as well as all the others, but, there is nothing. The monitor won't turn on. When plugged into my old computer, it will. I plugged my speakers into my new computer to see what's up, and nothing happened really. I got no beeps. However, my AC '97 AUDIO is not plugged in, nor the HD AUDIO, so, I wouldn't get any sound anyway. BEFORE I took the motherboard screws out and fixed the USB issue, I got an image on the monitor, so, it seems silly that my monitor randomly died. We removed a few cords, so, we're going to go through it tomorrow to make sure everything is properly connected.

Besides the cords, what could be the issue? All we did was move the motherboard slightly to the right, put the foam pad that needs to be there in the correct place, then re-screwed it. I'm so worried right now...

NeciFiX

Check the stand offs?
Check and recheck all wires.
Check to make sure everything is seated correctly.

Does it sound like the computer is booting normally, or does it sound like it hangs? Could be your video card, could be your motherboard, however I doubt it is the PSU.

Do the lights on the mobo come on?
Does the CPU fan spin?
The Heatsink for the CPU plugs into the mobo. If the mobo is getting power correctly the fan should spin.
That would eliminate the PSU.
try a different monitor? Maybe try onboard video.

All we did was move the motherboard slightly to the right, put the foam pad that needs to be there in the correct place, then re-screwed it. I'm so worried right now...

NeciFiX
Foam pad????

Check the stand offs?
You did use stand-offs didn't you? tell me you haven't just screwed the board to the case with the foam packaging behind it.

Can you post a pic of the inside of the pc please.

Foam pad????

You did use stand-offs didn't you? tell me you haven't just screwed the board to the case with the foam packaging behind it.

Can you post a pic of the inside of the pc please.

No, I used the stand-offs, or "mounting screws" as I call them. The foam pad is what goes in the PC Case and is around the PS2/USB/LAN ports or whatever. My current computer has it, and it was causing my system shut down in 15 seconds. I think we unplugged some stuff in the process of putting it in...

Do the lights on the mobo come on? - Yes
Does the CPU fan spin? - Yes
The Heatsink for the CPU plugs into the mobo. If the mobo is getting power correctly the fan should spin. - Yes
That would eliminate the PSU. - Yes.
try a different monitor? Maybe try onboard video. - No onboard video. Monitor was working on this computer before.

No, I used the stand-offs, or "mounting screws" as I call them. The foam pad is what goes in the PC Case and is around the PS2/USB/LAN ports or whatever. My current computer has it, and it was causing my system shut down in 15 seconds. I think we unplugged some stuff in the process of putting it in....
You're talking about the IO plate at the rear of the case, similar to this, yes?

0aaf1sr9.jpg

This is usually fitted to the case before the motherboard is mounted. Be sure none of the spring tabs is inside a usb/lan port and shorting it out, see the red square

Stand-offs are small brass section with a male thread one one end that screws into the case/motherboard tray and provides seperation between the circuit solder joints on the back of the board and case/motherboard tray, it has a female thread on the other end for the motherboard mounting screws to screw into, we're talking about the same thing yes?

standoff2hz9.jpg

I had an old dell psu that did that too and it was bad so I wouldn't rule out psu yet. Your best bet is to first try booting without any pci cards. Also you could try resetting cmos and see if that helps. If that doesn't work you are going to have to test each part separately. I agree it is probably either motherboard or cpu. I'm putting my bet on Motherboard.

Back
Top Bottom