Originally Posted by pctechmike
I've had better success from repairing Windows than using the fixmbr or fixboot commands from the recovery console. It would probably save you some frustration by doing the repair. JMO.
I 2nd that this is how to do a repair.
1. Go into your computers BIOS and set your boot order to cd rom first (usually DEL key, or F1, F2,)
2. Put the XP CD in the drive and save and exit the BIOS
3. Press a key when you see the screen that says press any key to boot from CD (right after the POST)
4. let windows load its files
5. press enter,(not R you dont want the recovery console)
6. then press f8
7. then press R for repair
8. and let the repair process begin.
good luck man