Computer won't boot from cd!!!?

jloen

Beta member
I decided to format the hard-drive and re-install windows. I changed the BIOS settings so that it would boot from CD before the drive (at IDE-0), but the computer just continued to load windows. I looked again to see if I forgot to save it the settings or something, but sure enough, the CD was the first priority. I then removed IDE-0 from the list completely, and it told me that it failed to boot, and that it could find no boot record in the CD-Drive

I thought that it may be my Windows CD, so I put in a linux cd (UBCD) that I happened to have in my possession, but that gave me the same error. I tried all sorts of boot settings, but no result?
SOMEONE PLEASE HELP

Additional Details

i have two internal cd drivers and it doesn't work on both

oh it is saying "For Realtek RTL8139(X)/8130/810X PCL Fast Ethernet Controller v2.2.13 (020326)
PXE-E61: Media Test Failure, Check Cable
PXE-E61: Exiting PXE-ROM"
:rolleyes: :eek: :mad: :( :confused:

When you select the first boot device make sure you press F10 then 'Y' to save the settings.

Also some motherboards have a function key dedicated to selecting the boot device; sometimes F8 or ESC during start-up.

What motherboard are you running?

PLEASE REREAD MY THREAD!!!
("I changed the BIOS settings so that it would boot from CD before the drive (at IDE-0), but the computer just continued to load windows. I looked again to see if I forgot to save it the settings or something, but sure enough, the CD was the first priority. I then removed IDE-0 from the list completely, and it told me that it failed to boot, and that it could find no boot record in the CD-Drive"

It's like the official windows cd right? So it's bootable. Sometimes you can hit one of those F1-9 buttons and it will bring up a screen that will ask what to boot from. (beside from the bios screen lol) Did you allready reformat it... ? I'm sure the cd drives work while you where using windows. Might have to bust out a usb harddrive

I am think that CD drive is slowly going out on the computer. I have seen this on a laptop. It would read cds in Windows but would not boot from it because it was throwing jibberish at the mobo and it didn't understand it.

have xp installed on hard drive. and two internal cd dvd drives plus one new external expensive high quality cd dvd (blue ray) drive and it wont boot a cd.
additional details:
now i configured the bios that it should only boot the device i seleccted and no other, and it keeps saying "media failure... insert boot media in selected device and press any key to continue" (!) And i tried it with "windows 7 ult. "windows xp pro" "UBCD (some linux bootable hard disk configurator)" and still "media failure... insert boot media in selected device and press any key to continue"!!!!!!! PLEASE HELP

EVERYTHING IS WORKING NORMALLY IN WINDOWS

Hey,

What motherboard are you running? All of the disc's you have tried - are they offical or did you burn them your self? If you burnt them your self - perhaps you didn't make them bootable.

Maybe what you could try is installing windows from a USB key if your BIOS supports booting from USB keys. I know it works for winXP and Win7 - see link ---> Install Windows 7 via USB Key

Thanx :D

-Steveo

Back
Top Bottom