Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 12-12-2005, 02:43 AM   #1
Beta Member

Default Computer won't boot anymore

Hey everyone,

I've got this problem that's driving me mad and I can't seem to figure it out.

I have an Intel P4 3.0ghz on a Intel D865GLC motherboard.
It's about a year and half old and a couple of weeks ago I started noticing problems with booting and it seemed to be power related.

It won't start up anymore. The green light inside goes on, so it does have power, then when I push the power button, there are 2 ways it responds. 1) Either the green powerlight goes on and stays on and the cpu fan wil rotate once or twice and then stops, it won't do anything else. 2) nothing happens at all, not even the green light goes on. It alternates between these two situations.

It seems like it gets a short boost of power and then stops.
I had the power supply checked and it was fine and I just replaced the fan and the power cable as well, so that's not it. The processor seems fine, no bend pins or burns.

This is really frustrating me and I would really appreciate it if anyone has any input. I could bring it in, but these people charge 70 bucks just to look at the thing.

Sifa_Dias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 04:45 AM   #2
BSOD

Default Re: Computer won't boot anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sifa_Dias
Hey everyone,

I've got this problem that's driving me mad and I can't seem to figure it out.

I have an Intel P4 3.0ghz on a Intel D865GLC motherboard.
It's about a year and half old and a couple of weeks ago I started noticing problems with booting and it seemed to be power related.

It won't start up anymore. The green light inside goes on, so it does have power, then when I push the power button, there are 2 ways it responds. 1) Either the green powerlight goes on and stays on and the cpu fan wil rotate once or twice and then stops, it won't do anything else. 2) nothing happens at all, not even the green light goes on. It alternates between these two situations.

It seems like it gets a short boost of power and then stops.
I had the power supply checked and it was fine and I just replaced the fan and the power cable as well, so that's not it. The processor seems fine, no bend pins or burns.

This is really frustrating me and I would really appreciate it if anyone has any input. I could bring it in, but these people charge 70 bucks just to look at the thing.

When I first built my computer this happened to me. Take the whole thing apart and make sure NO METAL is touching the board. It's being grounded out. For me, it was a screw being pushed in too far. It could have been worse though.

HRHunteRHR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 05:00 AM   #3
Baseband Member

Default Re: Computer won't boot anymore

Replace that power supply. I read you had it checked already but believe me. Try a new one even if you have to take it back if thats not the problem.
xtremecomputers is offline   Reply With Quote