computer wont boot!!

tj107us1

In Runtime
hi there guys, i have a HP Pavilion 7935 desktop. My problem is it wont boot, it will get as far as the hp post screen and then it will just sit there and the HDD light on the front stays lit. Could it be my processor maybe its frid or somethin? It has a AMD althon thunderbird 1.3Ghz processor and i think it has a ASUS mobo in it.

thanks for any help
tj

Does it hang at the POST screen or go to a black screen and hang? Any error messages? Your processor and motherboard are not fried. If they were fried it wouldn't even Post. If it goes to a black screen, something's wrong with Windows. If it hangs on Post screen, maybe reset the BIOS to default and see if it fixes it (go into CMOS or take out the motherboard battery for 30 seconds with the computer unplugged).

Well it frezzes on the HP blue screen i guess that would be the post screen,right? I took out the cmos battery with the computer unplugged for only 10 sec should i wait longer?

What, if anything, happened or changed just before the boot problem?

Can you get into BIOS/CMOS settings and switch it to verbose output (I'm not sure how it will be labeled in the settings). You might be able to get an idea of exactly where it's hanging and why.

There are a few things that might cause this. I've seen computers hang at boot because of overheating (too much dust between fan and heatsink, for example). But in that case, it should hang at random points--POST, OS loading, desktop--not at the same point every time.

It could also be that the boot record is corrupted. If get far enough in booting to get a alternative boot option (F12 or F11, probably), you could try booting from the XP CD and using the recovery console. Then you can try fixing the boot sector with the command FIXMBR.

If you go into the BIOS and set the CD drive to boot first will it boot to a recovery disk or XP cd?

thanks just it i dont have a boot disk, but i think i can hit F12 and do a system recovery when it freeze on the blue screen

Is there any way you can get a proper POST screen up. I assume yours in just an HP logo. Go into the BIOS and find an option to "display the POST screen"/"disable quick boot", something along those lines. Then you will be able to see which component is causing your computer to hang at POST.

I had the same issue.. i Plugged in a power supply tester and the PG_value was reading 00. So it turns out it was the Power supply not telling the computer its okay to bpoot up.. It did exactly what u said.. It would go to the blue screen and just not boot up. I couldnt go to setup or anything. I troubleshooted for hours! LOL.

I was having the same problem with a Dell here at work..it would just freeze at the Dell screen would not go any farther. I am waiting for a hard drive to come in to atleast see if it is somthing with the hard drive. Ill let you know when i get one and test it..but from this dell i cant get into the BIOS it freezes half way on the progress bar at the bottom tho for me

Back
Top Bottom