Computer will not turn on. Need help please!

masond88

Beta member
Hi I know very little about computers and mine will not turn on. I think it might be the power supply. The indicator light turns on when I plug it in but nothing happens when I press the button. No fans turning on or any kind of noise. Could this be a fried motherboard or bad power supply?

I have a HP desktop m9400f

Newegg.com - HP Pavilion M9400F(FK790AA) Desktop PC Phenom X4 9750(2.4GHz) 8GB DDR2 750GB HDD Capacity ATI Radeon HD 3650 Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit

I know what power supply to get if that is the problem but the motherboard has been discontinued. What motherboard could I get to replace it that would still work with my computer?

thank you and I appreciate the help.

Hi I know very little about computers and mine will not turn on. I think it might be the power supply. The indicator light turns on when I plug it in but nothing happens when I press the button. No fans turning on or any kind of noise. Could this be a fried motherboard or bad power supply?

I have a HP desktop m9400f

Newegg.com - HP Pavilion M9400F(FK790AA) Desktop PC Phenom X4 9750(2.4GHz) 8GB DDR2 750GB HDD Capacity ATI Radeon HD 3650 Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit

I know what power supply to get if that is the problem but the motherboard has been discontinued. What motherboard could I get to replace it that would still work with my computer?

thank you and I appreciate the help.

I don't mean to sound like a wise guy, but the truth is it could be so many things, you just have to check out for yourself.

1) Is there power to the wall outlet?

2) Is the power cable secured at both ends, and making good contact?

3) Is there a power switch on the rear of the power supply, is it on?

4) Are there any fuses, or ckt. breakers in line?

5) Have you jumped the computers power button, to make sure it isn't a
faulty power button?

6) Have you checked the power supplies 12v, 3.3v, and 5 volts rails for
output?

7) I could list some more but you get the idea.

Last edited:
Sounds like a bad PSU. There is a quick way to check.

1. Make sure the PSU is unplugged from the wall.

2. Disconnect the main power connector from the motherboard. This is a large 24 pin connector.

3. Locate the PS-On pin. This pin has a green wire. It is the only green wire that is in this connector.

4. Using a paper clip, jump the pin for the green wire to a pin for a black wire. Any black wire will work.

5. Plug the PSU into the wall.

The fan on the PSU should turn on when you reconnect power. If it does, then this tells you that the PSU is able to receive the PS-On signal from the motherboard and that the problem might be elsewhere. It does not rule out the possibility of a bad PSU.

If the fan doesn't turn on, chances are, your PSU is no good.

Something like this will tell you for sure if the PSU is good or not.

Newegg.com - Rexus PST-3 Digital Power Supply Tester with LCD

Also, here is a picture of the main power connector pinout.

http://www.smpspowersupply.com/connector_atx_pinout.GIF

It won't work you might have unplugged it for more than 10 mins. If you plug it back in, you may have troubles logging on to your computer. The scripts to the computer will take longer than normally. If your having troubles logging on, just shut down your computer and turn it back on and let it load. It should work after this.
Good luck

I don't know where you're getting this information from, but it just isn't factual.

You should be able to unplug a computer for weeks, (which I have done), and it should start normally after it's plugged back in.

Sounds like a bad PSU. There is a quick way to check.

1. Make sure the PSU is unplugged from the wall.

2. Disconnect the main power connector from the motherboard. This is a large 24 pin connector.

3. Locate the PS-On pin. This pin has a green wire. It is the only green wire that is in this connector.

4. Using a paper clip, jump the pin for the green wire to a pin for a black wire. Any black wire will work.

5. Plug the PSU into the wall.

The fan on the PSU should turn on when you reconnect power. If it does, then this tells you that the PSU is able to receive the PS-On signal from the motherboard and that the problem might be elsewhere. It does not rule out the possibility of a bad PSU.

If the fan doesn't turn on, chances are, your PSU is no good.

Something like this will tell you for sure if the PSU is good or not.

Newegg.com - Rexus PST-3 Digital Power Supply Tester with LCD

Also, here is a picture of the main power connector pinout.

http://www.smpspowersupply.com/connector_atx_pinout.GIF

Thanks I will try this.

---------- Post added at 12:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:05 PM ----------

---------- Post added at 12:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:07 PM ----------

I have not done #5 or #6. I don't know how to jump a computer power button or how to check power supply rails

Originally Posted by 1337G33k
It won't work you might have unplugged it for more than 10 mins. If you plug it back in, you may have troubles logging on to your computer. The scripts to the computer will take longer than normally. If your having troubles logging on, just shut down your computer and turn it back on and let it load. It should work after this.
Good luck

:lol::lol:

I don't know where you're getting this information from, but it just isn't factual.

You should be able to unplug a computer for weeks, (which I have done), and it should start normally after it's plugged back in.

Yeah, the OP needs luck with such 'advice'. I wonder why 1337G33k deleted the post? Maybe because it was rubbish? :facepalm:

I wonder why some people feel the need to offer 'advice', when it is evident that they don't know what the hell they're talking about...

You'd be best off not doing the 'jumper' bit if you are unsure on it, not nice when you touch the wrong thing :3

Agreed. Only do this if you feel comfortable. I take no responsibility if anything that may not be favorable or desirable happens as a direct or indirect result. :D

Mason, if you went through the list that Hameister gave you and the problem persists, then your best bet would be to get a qualified tech to come and have a look. There are far too many things that could be wrong there, and even with our help you just don't have the experience to diagnose it yourself.

If your PC is still under guarantee give the shop you got it from a call and ask them to send someone over. Most decent retailers would do this free of charge if you're still under guarantee (provided that they offer such a service, if they don't you may have to call the manufacturer directly). If the guarantee have expired you may still be lucky to log a claim with your household insurance for a repair. My household contents insurance policy covers me for manufacturing faults, theft, as well as accidental damage for all my electical appliances including my computers. Check your policy or give them a ring if not sure.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom