Computer vs. Cell

Myron1

Baseband Member
Perhaps a silly question but why can I go on the Internet using my cell almost instantly while it takes me at least 5 minutes to go on line using my laptop? Why does the cell have no spinning hard disc drive while the cell phones & tablets have none? Do cells use a solid state disc drive? If so, why can't laptops use them as well ?

Laptops can use them, actually. Almost all SsD's are the same physical size of laptop drives. My MiL's lappy uses a SSD straight from the factory. And I have two SSD's in my computer, one for the OS and one for games.

The thing is cell phones only have a small amount of memory compared to a laptop. They use solid state memory which is expandable, usually, by using an SSD card. Laptops have traditionally used mechanical/electrical memory ie a spinning silicone disk. Your cell phone is usually switched on and already connected to the internet so when you go on line with your cell it, almost, immediately connects. You normally switch your laptop on then you may have to connect it to the internet then you have to go to the website. Even so I would be surprised if it actually takes you five minutes to connect. Laptops are getting around to using solid state memory. SSDs or Solid State Drives do not have to spin up to speed so laptops are much faster when they use an SSD rather than a hard disk drive (HDD). The problem at the moment with SSDs is the cost. I have 4 2 terrabyte hard drives in my network. a 2 terrabyte SSD is a huge amount more expensive than a 2 terrabyte mechanical/electrical hard disk drive but they are getting there. Most new laptops and desktops will come with an SSD as it's main drive these days. But a larger secondary HDD is also included for storage. Soon we will see all computers with large solid state drives as standard at reasonable prices.

The thing is cell phones only have a small amount of memory compared to a laptop. They use solid state memory which is expandable, usually, by using an SSD card. Laptops have traditionally used mechanical/electrical memory ie a spinning silicone disk. Your cell phone is usually switched on and already connected to the internet so when you go on line with your cell it, almost, immediately connects. You normally switch your laptop on then you may have to connect it to the internet then you have to go to the website. Even so I would be surprised if it actually takes you five minutes to connect. Laptops are getting around to using solid state memory. SSDs or Solid State Drives do not have to spin up to speed so laptops are much faster when they use an SSD rather than a hard disk drive (HDD). The problem at the moment with SSDs is the cost. I have 4 2 terrabyte hard drives in my network. a 2 terrabyte SSD is a huge amount more expensive than a 2 terrabyte mechanical/electrical hard disk drive but they are getting there. Most new laptops and desktops will come with an SSD as it's main drive these days. But a larger secondary HDD is also included for storage. Soon we will see all computers with large solid state drives as standard at reasonable prices.

You are confusing memory and storage. Memory is electronic and is only the files that are active at the time. (RAM) Storage is where files ate kept when they are not in active use (Drives; hard disks and solid state, and soon laser encoded plastics)

You are confusing memory and storage. Memory is electronic and is only the files that are active at the time. (RAM) Storage is where files ate kept when they are not in active use (Drives; hard disks and solid state, and soon laser encoded plastics)

I know exactly what I am talking about if you choose to confuse and delude yourself that is up to you. Judging from some of your other posts on here you are the confused one.

You said an ssd card is a memory expansion. That's completely incorrect. An ssd is a solid state drive which is a storage device and is not a card and is not a component in cell phones or smart phones. An SD card is a secure digital card which is also a storage device and neither of them is a memory expansion.

You then went on to say a spinning disk drive is memory which is completely incorrect as well. Disk drives and solid state drives are storage mediums.

At least read some before spouting incorrect information and accept when someone else takes the time to correct you so you can learn.

Actually, a computer is everything a cell can be and use + extras. A cell is a stripped down computer after all. Simply put, use less equivalent parts with less power to get smaller size. Cells not being able to similarly use mechanical storage devices is actually a minus.

My computers use SSD's and they access CF in an eye blink.

I wouldn't call a cell phone a stripped down computer, my smart phone is more powerful than the first half dozen or so desktop computers I owned in the past. A cell is a scaled down computer, not stripped down.

There's no reason a cell can't use an external mechanical storage device. I have ones that can attach to my cell via USB or wifi in order to provide additional storage.

I mean computer by definition and cell by definition. One more example... a cell by definition is never as compatible and reliable as a computer to connect more referrals or have upgrades.

But I guess it depends on how one defines the two.

A cell phone is just a miniature computer that has cellular capability and a dialer app.

Back
Top Bottom