Computer upgrade

The issue was I needed to know what processor and RAM I could upgrade to along with a video card.

Those were all answered.

I wanted maximum RAM like I wanted the best processor the motherboard could handle.

I do think that things open up a little faster with the better RAM.

Cannot remember what it was before, but I'm thinking it was double with only 4 gigs of RAM versus what it is with 8 gigs of RAM.

Also I failed to mention that I use this for working with audio files using a program called Wavepad Masters Edition and it has been my experience that it runs much better on a computer with a faster processor and lots of RAM especially when working with recordings an hour or more in length.

To compare I was working with an audio file on this computer then transferred it to my Dell Inspiron 1521 with dual core processor and 2 gigs of RAM. Had to do something else to the file using the same program and it took much longer.

Last edited:
Also I failed to mention that I use this for working with audio files using a program called Wavepad Masters Edition and it has been my experience that it runs much better on a computer with a faster processor and lots of RAM especially when working with recordings an hour or more in length.

To compare I was working with an audio file on this computer then transferred it to my Dell Inspiron 1521 with dual core processor and 2 gigs of RAM. Had to do something else to the file using the same program and it took much longer.

The amount of memory and processor speed are not all the things that matter. You also have memory speed, storage transfer rates, seek times, the way that the software is optimized to use your processor and your memory, etc.

Also, if you are going to test, do the same things, not different things. It makes no sense, unless you are 100% sure they take the exact same amount of resources. Otherwise, it's pointless.

So far the computer has been working well.

Added a better CPU heatsink and fan which didn't seem to help much until I realized two things.

1. The fan was now much closer to the rear of the case.
2. The fan was also picking up air at whatever temperature the inside of the case was at.

I found where on the back cover the fan would be near and cut a hole as big as the fan.

Now the fan draws in room temperature air and is unrestricted.

Cools much better.

At idle in a room that is probably around 70F the CPU temp is 95F.

I have a question though.

I watched a youtube video a few days ago showing where someone with an adapter tried to add a PCI-E graphics card to a laptop.

That got me to thinking.

Are there any external PCI-E expansion boxes or adapters I can put in my own box that will connect to a PCI-E slot?

If so that would mean I will not have to modify the computer to make the card fit, although I am still limited to the cards listed in this topic unless said expansion box or adapter has its own power supply.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom