Computer unusually noisy.

OneMarcilV

In Runtime
This morning I noticed my Dell OptiPlex GX280 was very noisy. Booted up the monitor and nothing on the screen. So I unplugged the computer and plugged back in. The computer came back on but never did this before. Had to manuallY start the computer. Anyway the same noise and a blank screen. So I unplugged computer again for a much longer time. Same results.

Any ideas what could have happened?

This morning I noticed my Dell OptiPlex GX280 was very noisy. Booted up the monitor and nothing on the screen. So I unplugged the computer and plugged back in. The computer came back on but never did this before. Had to manuallY start the computer. Anyway the same noise and a blank screen. So I unplugged computer again for a much longer time. Same results.

Any ideas what could have happened?

Update: I am purchasing another Optiplex GX 280. Will swap out the hard drive from the now unworking GX 280 to the newly purchased one.

Will it post without the hdd? can you run a live cd type of OS on it? Since it's a dell, is the powersupply light on?

Here is what I see when the computer is on. The hard drive never is on because it's light stays off. All the external hard drives are on so the USB connections work. The CD drive holder opens and closes. The keyboard does not light up.IMG_5752.jpg

So I do not believe this has anything to do with it's internal hard drive.

Also the monitor does not show anything when the computer is so called on.

Last edited:
Try creating a live os usb stick. I used LiLi last time i had to do this. it will determine if the hard drive is just dead, or just a psu issue.

Sound like the PSU is dying.

That is fine. No biggie. Like I wrote previously I doubt there is any problem with the hard drive.

I do have every hard drive connected to the computer backed up as well as it's internal hard drive.

Last edited:
What I decided to do is swap out the power supplies. Would be easier than to do all the hard drive things since the computer is set open how I want anyway.

Power supply swap out looked too hard. So I swapped out hard drives. Works perfectly. Added two gb of ram from non booting computer.

I also noticed on the computer that quit that sometimes there would be a noise. I just thought that was the hard drive. This noise began a few months back before the computer quit. Now one not tell the computer is even on.

Back
Top Bottom