Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 11-12-2012, 06:03 PM   #1
Baseband Member

Default computer turns on an off

hey all hope everyone is doing good.... i have neen experiencing problems with my computer... it keeps turning on an off sometimes i notice if i disconnect the power from one of the hard drives an the cd drive an it turns on.. am wondering if it the power supply acting up or is it one of th hard drive or the cds drive that has a problem.... Like now i have both the hard drives hooked up an its working with out the cd drive.. an it works also with one of the hard drive disconnected when the cd drive is hooked up.. Can some one shed soome light on my situation please....

shadydawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:09 PM   #2
Daemon Poster

Default Re: computer turns on an off

sorry but im not following the question? are you saying if the pc is off an you disconnect a hdd, the pc turns on? or if there all connected it turns off?

Or it only works if only 2 things are plugged in (2xhdd or hdd and cd)

Old 11-12-2012, 06:27 PM   #3
Baseband Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ja6on View Post
sorry but im not following the question? are you saying if the pc is off an you disconnect a hdd, the pc turns on? or if there all connected it turns off?

Or it only works if only 2 things are plugged in (2xhdd or hdd and cd)
there be times when i have everything hooked up to the power an the pc works.. and there are times that computers keeps turning on an off but when i disconnect the power from one of the hard drives an the cd drives the computer stays on.. its very tricky cause there are also times when i just have the power connected an the computer would still do the same thing turn on an off... Am wonndering if it's the power suppply on its way out
Old 11-13-2012, 02:47 AM   #4
In Runtime

It sounds very much like it is pointing to the Power Supply. However it also points at the system memory as well this is one sign of memory failing.
Download an ISO image of memtest86 and let it run and if you get 2 passes or more you know you are ok do 1 stick at a time.
Memtest86
if memory is good then test the power supply or get another one and replace the old one I would say give it a test with a muilty meter but don't know if you have one of those.

Kind Regards
Fujitsu_Technician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:03 AM   #5
Baseband Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fujitsu_Technician View Post
It sounds very much like it is pointing to the Power Supply. However it also points at the system memory as well this is one sign of memory failing.
Download an ISO image of memtest86 and let it run and if you get 2 passes or more you know you are ok do 1 stick at a time.
Memtest86
if memory is good then test the power supply or get another one and replace the old one I would say give it a test with a muilty meter but don't know if you have one of those.

Kind Regards
thank you for our reply i will down the thing you mentioned an give it a shot san your right i don't have a multimeter but if all is good with thhe memory am get another psu
Old 11-13-2012, 08:45 AM   #6
In Runtime

ok no problem hope all goes well for you

Kind Regards

Fujitsu_Technician is offline   Reply With Quote