Computer turns on for 2 sec then shuts off

medabomb2000

In Runtime
Im building a computer with the following:

Link to setup @ tigerdirect.com:
GIGABYTE M68MT Thermaltake Barebones Kit - GIGABYTE M68MT Board, AMD Phenom II X6 1100T BE CPU, Patriot 8GB (2x 4GB) DDR3 RAM, Seagate 1TB HDD, 24x DVDRW, Thermaltake V2 Mid Tower, 450W Power Supply at TigerDirect.com

GIGABYTE GA-M68MT-S2P nForce 630a Motherboard - Micro ATX, Socket AM3, nForce 630a Chipset, 1333MHz DDR3 (O.C.), SATA 3.0 Gb/s, RAID, GeForce 7025, Gigabit LAN
AMD HDE00ZFBGRBOX Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition Processor - Six Core, 6MB L3 Cache, 3MB L2 Cache, 3.30GHz, Socket AM3, 125W, Fan, Unlocked, Retail
Lite-On IHAS124-04 Internal DVD Writer - DVD+R 24X, DVD-R 24X, DVD+RW 8X, DVD-RW 6X, DVD+R DL 8X, SATA (OEM)
Patriot PG34G1333EL Gamer 2 Desktop Memory Module - 4GB, PC3-10666, DDR3-1333MHz, 9-9-9-24 CAS Latency, Intel XMP Ready
Patriot PG34G1333EL Gamer 2 Desktop Memory Module - 4GB, PC3-10666, DDR3-1333MHz, 9-9-9-24 CAS Latency, Intel XMP Ready
Thermaltake VM54521N2U V2 ATX Mid Tower Case - ATX, Micro ATX, 450W PSU, 3x Ext 5.25", 1x Ext 3.5", 6x Int 3.5", 2x Front USB 2.0 Ports
Seagate ST1000DL002 Barracuda® Green Hard Drive - 1TB, SATA 3G, 5900 RPM, 32MB

After assembling all of the parts and powering on the computer, the fans run and the Power LED turns on for 2 seconds and turns back off. In those two seconds the motherboard speaker will tick lightly 3 times then the system will shut off. I am failing to get any kind of POST initiated. I have unhooked all equipment one at a time and have placed them back in trying to power on the unit with different equipment to better troubleshoot the issue. Processor and RAM are secured in their slots. I have tested the power supply and all tests read normal.

I have already sent a RMA for the motherboard, this is the 2nd one in the machine.

Please post some suggestions / thought. I appreciate your time.

What happens if you build the PC on your desk using just the motherboard, CPU, RAM and power supply? Sometimes building a PC outside of a case can isolate a problem you may otherwise not see inside the case.

It should also go without warning that ESD is a big thread (Electrostatic Discharge) so if you handled anything improperly, you can zap them pretty easily...

I have pulled the motherboard out of the case and reassembled. I have continued to troubleshoot with the power supply/ram/hard drive and nothing has changed. I then unplugged the 4 pin connector for the CPU and the computer at that point would turn on (not beep) and fans would run continuous. However, now that the processor is not powered, still can't get a post to present itself. I plugged the 4 pin connector back onto the mobo, and back to the same problem.

Would it be suggested that this may be a processor issue? or could the motherboard still be causing the error?

I'm trying to figure out the best solution what needs to be returned as it cost for every shipment back for each RMA.

Normally when you have no CPU inside the computer it will automatically shutdown with-in 10seconds of turn on, is the thermal applied correct..

I hope I have helped and I'm really guessing it is your CPU, so maybe take it back and pick another one or go for a diff CPU all-together , altho I know everything listed is compatible

Motherboard is usually the easiest solution to try first, depending on the way the board was handled, they're pretty fragile compared to other components. I would RMA the motherboard, and if the replacement one doesn't fix it, move on to the CPU next. 80% of all cases like this I've experienced however, the motherboard is usually the culprit.

Motherboard is usually the easiest solution to try first, depending on the way the board was handled, they're pretty fragile compared to other components. I would RMA the motherboard, and if the replacement one doesn't fix it, move on to the CPU next. 80% of all cases like this I've experienced however, the motherboard is usually the culprit.

Please reread what he said and it tells you he has already done that...

This is exactly why I posted what I did

Anyway, hows the problem going for you

if I'm reading this setup right the PSU came with the case. I read 450w. Most likely the PSU is a wimp. I'd go with a 600 or 700 watt PSU. 20amps on the 12volt rail would be good.

if I'm reading this setup right the PSU came with the case. I read 450w. Most likely the PSU is a wimp. I'd go with a 600 or 700 watt PSU. 20amps on the 12volt rail would be good.

Omg it's setishock, wow, long time no talk seti it's me xx cobra xx hi lol!!!

wow glad your back :)

If I recall correctly, three beeps on an AMI BIOS board indicate a memory error-- either your RAM is screwed up or memory management on the board. On some older BIOSes, it meant a keyboard error (or keyboard is missing), but if you are getting 'ticks' instead of actual beeps... not really sure.

Please reread what he said and it tells you he has already done that...

This is exactly why I posted what I did

Anyway, hows the problem going for you

Yup, I sure did read the problem, and wouldn't you know it in my 20 years of PC support and troubleshooting, that sometimes you get bad boards back from the manufacturer, either through a shipping handling issue or mishandling the part of the user? I admit, my wording is wonky, I could have specified the replacement board.

If the replacement board is doing the same thing, CPU or Memory is the next best thing to look at, as suggested.

Back
Top Bottom