Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 08-08-2009, 11:49 PM   #1
Baseband Member

Default Computer turned on, no video

Hey guys, it's been a while.
This is the problem; my computer does not show a video signal, and there are no BIOS beeps.

History:
I have had this computer for a little under a year, and it's been working fine. Two days ago, there was a power serge, but I believe my serge protector did it's job. The next day, I noticed that my computer had graphical lag (noticed in a video game I play), so to compensate, I opened up the side panel of my case to give it greater air-flow. Later that day, I went to put the side panel back on my case, but when I reached for the case, it died. My screens went black, and the fans inside re-started. In panic, I pulled the power plug, and tried multiple times to turn it back on. Nothing.

The same day, I took it apart, and in an attempt to fix it, tried to clear the CMOS multiple times, with no success. I then took the motherboard out of my case, and layed it on it's anti-static bag, and only booted up with CPU, RAM, and power, yet still nothing.

I brought the PSU to TigerDirect, and they tested it. It came out fine.

~~EDIT When I turn on the power, the CPU fan spins, along with the external fan I attached. EDIT~~

What I think is the problem, is that the CPU and Mobo need to be sent back to Gigabyte and AMD for replacements, but I could be wrong.

PC Specs.
Motherboard = GIGABYTE GA-MA78G-DS3H
CPU = AMD Phenom x4 9850 Black Edition
RAM = OCZ 4GB SLI Ready Edition (2x2GB)
PSU = CoolerMaster 600W

If you have any questions to help out what happened, or if I missed some information, please let me know.

Thanks,
-Johanster

|~~|UPDATE|~~|

I have sent an RMA request to Gigabyte, and am waiting on a return. Once that happens, so long motherboard. I hope a newer model comes back, as mine is discontinued.

AMD 9850 BE @ 2.5Ghz, Gigabyte MA78G-DS3H, 4GB OCZ Preformance RAM, PNY 8800GT, 80GB SATA HDD(primary), 40GB Ultra ATA HDD (2nd-ary), 500GB SATA HDD (3rd-ary?), CoolerMaster 600W PSU, AlienWare Case 51W
All for about 800$..! I'm satisfied... =D
johanster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 11:54 PM   #2
In Runtime

Default Re: Computer turned on, no video

Quote:
Originally Posted by johanster View Post
Hey guys, it's been a while.
This is the problem; my computer does not show a video signal, and there are no BIOS beeps.

History:
I have had this computer for a little under a year, and it's been working fine. Two days ago, there was a power serge, but I believe my serge protector did it's job. The next day, I noticed that my computer had graphical lag (noticed in a video game I play), so to compensate, I opened up the side panel of my case to give it greater air-flow. Later that day, I went to put the side panel back on my case, but when I reached for the case, it died. My screens went black, and the fans inside re-started. In panic, I pulled the power plug, and tried multiple times to turn it back on. Nothing.

The same day, I took it apart, and in an attempt to fix it, tried to clear the CMOS multiple times, with no success. I then took the motherboard out of my case, and layed it on it's anti-static bag, and only booted up with CPU, RAM, and power, yet still nothing.

I brought the PSU to TigerDirect, and they tested it. It came out fine.

What I think is the problem, is that the CPU and Mobo need to be sent back to Gigabyte and AMD for replacements, but I could be wrong.

PC Specs.
Motherboard = GIGABYTE GA-MA78G-DS3H
CPU = AMD Phenom x4 9850 Black Edition
RAM = OCZ 4GB SLI Ready Edition (2x2GB)
PSU = CoolerMaster 600W

If you have any questions to help out what happened, or if I missed some information, please let me know.

Thanks,
-Johanster
uhm probably a dead MB if the PSU is working
and I think a closed case allows for better airflow

Old 08-09-2009, 12:08 AM   #3
Baseband Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by metin View Post
uhm probably a dead MB if the PSU is working
and I think a closed case allows for better airflow
That's what I am thinking too. I will send the parts back to their manufactures on Monday, if I can't find a solution in time.
AMD 9850 BE @ 2.5Ghz, Gigabyte MA78G-DS3H, 4GB OCZ Preformance RAM, PNY 8800GT, 80GB SATA HDD(primary), 40GB Ultra ATA HDD (2nd-ary), 500GB SATA HDD (3rd-ary?), CoolerMaster 600W PSU, AlienWare Case 51W
Old 08-09-2009, 12:09 AM   #4
Daemon Poster

does it post?
OCZ 550 Watt Modular|Intel E7300 Core 2 Duo @ 2.66ghz|Gigabyte EP45UD3R|4 GB Corsair 800 DDR2|Geforce 8800 GTX|Seagate 250GB 7200RPM SATA|Samsung 160GB 7200RPM SATA|120 GB External WD Passport HD|Microsoft 3 Button Optical Mouse|Lite-On 2 Tone Standard Keyboard|ViewSonic 22in Wide Screen|Logitec x-540|Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
allendale2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 12:14 AM   #5
Baseband Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by allendale2008 View Post
does it post?
If you are reffering to the MOBO starting up, with the CPU fan, and external fans working, then yes. There is no way for me to test if the BIOS shows up however, and I do not get any beeps from the speaker.