Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 10-22-2008, 11:12 AM   #1
Solid State Member

Angry Computer stuck in 4-bit color after format and reinstallation of windows

Hello all..my buddy's computer was very messed up so i suggested he formats and starts from scratch. He does not know a thing about computers but i walked him through the re-installation process.. everything worked fine except when he started up windows for the first time it was stuck in 4-bit color low resolution and there is no way to change it. his computer was custom made for cheap and im sure has some generic video card but he doesn't know what kind it is and im not there to help him except over the phone. right now it is not listing any video drivers and my thought is he just needs to download the right drivers and he will be fine..again its a freshly formatted machine so there should not be any problems..i do this all the time and have never encountered this. any help would be great im just wondering if there is any way to figure out what video card it is besides physically looking at it cause he doesn't know what hes looking for. thanks

Steve

sm40oztofreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 11:16 AM   #2
Daemon Poster

Default Re: Computer stuck in 4-bit color after format and reinstallation of windows

just get the driver for it. does he know the person you built it?

iamchickenlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 11:23 AM   #3
Solid State Member

Default Re: Computer stuck in 4-bit color after format and reinstallation of windows

no thats the prob..he got some random kid to build it who he isnt in contact with anymore a couple years back. the computer was like 200 bucks total so im sure its a very cheap card..can dxdiag figure it out..or any other way? im sure i could fix it if i was there but over the phone with someone who doesnt know anything bout computers is fustraiting
Old 10-22-2008, 11:30 AM   #4
In Runtime

Get him to yank that case open and read out the lettering on the chip that the monitor is connected to. Not so hard, is it?
stratusdodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 11:33 AM   #5
j03
~~~~~~~~

Send a message via MSN to j03

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratusdodge View Post
Get him to yank that case open and read out the lettering on the chip that the monitor is connected to. Not so hard, is it?
Most the people I know wouldnt feel happy doing that. So for some, It is hard - Yes.
j03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 11:39 AM   #6
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

open up IE, and go to Windows Update.
the Update should find the display driver for his computer, and it should show the name.
You can either install the driver through windows update, or he can google it and find the drivers on the manufactures page.
Desktop -Cooler Master NV690/AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE/MSI 880G-E45 Motherboard/2 x 2GB DDR3 G.Skill Ripjaws X/Sapphire HD 5870 1GB GDDR5/CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX/Seagate 7200.12 500GB (OS), Samsung F3 1TB (Storage)/Sony DVD Burner/Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Teny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 11:51 AM   #7
Solid State Member

im pretty sure windows update couldn't find anything..there has to be a way to recognize a card without opening the box
Old 10-22-2008, 12:21 PM   #8
Omnipotent One

Send a message via AIM to Atomic Rooster Send a message via Yahoo to Atomic Rooster

Have him download and run PC Wizard. It's a free app that should be able to identify all the components in his computer.
Atomic Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 12:43 PM   #9
Fully Optimized

Can't he just use CPUZ, or something? He could just look in system information.
rohan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 12:51 PM   #10
In Runtime

Quote:
Originally Posted by J03 View Post
Most the people I know wouldnt feel happy doing that. So for some, It is hard - Yes.
Well most modern computers are easier to open than a suitcase--take dells for example; they're an information medium they...

stratusdodge is offline   Reply With Quote