computer startup help

hoolian8200

Solid State Member
ok, i just built my computer with great parts. i try to turn it on and the light turns on that shows that my computers power is on. my monitor doesnt even detect the video card. my computer then makes 2 buzzing noises, waits about 4 seconds and turns off without even reaching the bios. After 1 second when it turns off it turns itself on and goes through the loop again and again. i tried clearing the cmos. any suggestions to what i should do??????

first of all, can you list all the parts you have?
next thing is, make sure you have everything connected properly, all the wires tight...etc.

I wonder where the buzzing could be coming from though? My first thought would be the CPU fan, though it could also be the onboard speaker...

Yeah, i would definitely do what these say and check for any loose connections. If you have to, i'd even consider taking the heatsink and fan off, and placing it back on again to make sure you have a secure fit.

Next check all power cables giving power to the computer.

I have heard weird random loop startups also happening because of lan boards being connected. Try taking one out of the pci port if one is connected to see if this helps also.

Here is what I would do? not to worry about the buzzing yet. because you don't need to be turning your system on and off trying to locate it.
Start over,,,seriously! remove everything!
Then replace the mobo and make sure it is secured. Now install the chip,heatsink and fan remembering to clean the thermal paste and reapply it and just a dab is all you need. Do not apply TOO much! Now install 1 stick of ram and if you do not have integrated video...install the graphics card.
DO NOT INSTALL any thing else...nothing.
Plug in the power plugs to the board and chip fan if needed and then turn your system on and see what happens.
If it still does it then try to substitute a different PSU even a lower wattage one as you are not doing anything but elliminating hardware.
If it still does it I am going to say that it is your chip is fried.reasoning is that board comes up and lights up then chip powers up and shuts down.
Keep us posted

thx but it buzz more

thx for all of your suggestions, lurkswithin ill try your idea a little later because i would hate to risk damage to my motherboard or cpu when the problom was actually just somthing like kage said. Kage ill try your idea first since it seems the best. do you mean LAN port on my pci motherboard because i have onboard LAN. could my cpu fan do this all?? i mean its just a fan i dont think it would overheat that fast and shut down.

by the way im using....
xaser III case with a 420 Watt PSU
ABIT AG8 motherboard
ATI X800PRO pciX 16 Video card
1 stick-o-ram at 1 GB (GEIL)
onboard audio and LAN
Celeron D 3.06 GHz with 533 mhz FSB and a 256K L1 cache (i know its a piece of crap)
External uGURU OCer

well one of these parts may be defective. so lets narrow it down while we try to solve this

it could be the cpu, motherboard, or my cases power supply. I doubt its my ram since my computer is on way too long for my ram to be bad. Ive have defective ram before and a second after you turn on your computer it shuts right off

i understand how it might be my cpu fan since it might not push the cpu on all the way, but my mobo has a LG775 socket with a cover that pushes on the cpu against the mobo.

cpu core voltage

ahah i found out it had something to do with my cpu core voltage. although im not sure if by then the monitor should be showing at leats a signal from the video card hmm heres a link to my mobo

http://www.abit-usa.com/products/mb/products.php?categories=1&model=200

currently i only have 2 plugs into my motherboard, the big 20 or 24 pin plug and a smaller 4 pin plug. I might be missing a power plug. Is it possible that my PSU can't support my stuff??

break in my work

i made a big break in my work. I am sure my motherboard is not getting enough power because it rquires 24A or more on the +12V rail while my PSU is only giving out 18A. This may mean i need a new power supply right?? or is there a chance that a simple pin coverter could do the trick (6 pin to 4 pin)?

keep posting

the message ABIT sent to me was unclear here is the message

Dear Valued Customer,

NO POST trouble shooting steps.

Please make sure you have a switching ATX power supply AND BOTH ATX power connectors (MAIN ATX and AUX 12 Volt) properly connected.
please use a good quality name brand power supply. make sure the 3.3 volt section of the power supply is rated at least 30A or more and combined 12V rails are rated at 24amps or more.
For motherboards that requires ATX 24pin connectors, recommend you use 24pin ATX connector for best system performance.

Then they just listed a few reference sources on power supplys and told me to make sure the CPU fan was on correctly.

Are you still sure i may need a new PSU??

Is it common to have a motherboard like mine to require that much voltage?

Back
Top Bottom