ASRock FM2A88M Pro3+
AMD Anthlon X4 880K Quad Core Processor
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
Corsair 2 x 4GB DDR3 1333MHz
EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply
SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB SSD
Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD
Windows 10 Education Edition

With no pattern I can tell, my computer will reboot occasionally. The fans and lights do not turn off. It restarts as if I had pressed the case restart button. This will occur while the computer is doing nothing or during gaming. It happens just after boot or after a long uptime. Sometimes it happens more than once day, sometimes weeks pass between occurrences.

Virus scans, SFC, and DISM turn up nothing. This issue persisted through a new GPU and a migration to an SSD. Disconnecting the case restart button also did not help.

I'm not sure which steps I can take next to diagnose the issue more, so I appreciate any advice.

To be honest this could be anything. it is more than likely heat related and the usual culprit for that is the CPU. I would start by disconnecting everything that you can including any daughter boards such as graphics etc if you can. Let the computer boot to the BIOS and see if it happens then. If it does then it's a problem somewhere on your motherboard or the power supply. I'm afraid that problems like these can be an absolute nightmare to resolve.

It's not heat, temperatures are fine, even during gaming. The difficulty with narrowing it down like that is that it happens so inconsistently.

Yup but that is the only way that you and can fault find this stuff. If you own a computer shop with lots of spares or have a large bits box then it isn't so bad. Unfortunately we don't have those. Buying bits to interchange can work out more expensive than buying a new computer as can giving it to someone else to fix if you aren't careful. As Celery says it could be a loose connection so wacking it gently is the way to go. Good luck.

Try the following:

1- Cleaning the GPU drivers (try DDU here).

2- Testing the previous storage (I hope you haven't remove the OS on it yet).

3- Testing the old video card. Cleaning drivers is faster so I suggested that first.

Back
Top Bottom