Computer shutting itself off, overheating??

the_tobzster

Solid State Member
Hey guys, so for some reason my PC keeps turning itself off, then restarts without any explanation. It's only happened 3 or so times (only when playing games, i.e Farcry 3 and BF4), but all fairly recently. I noticed it happens after playing for a while/or when my computer temperature is higher than normal (around 42 degrees - I thought this wasn't even that hot for PCs?).

My specs are:
AMD FX-4100 (OC'd 15%)
Nvidia GTX 760 Direct CU II OC'd
16gb Ram
Gigabyte Motherboard
600W PSU

Is it simply my CPU getting too hot and shutting down? I noticed my computer has been a lot hotter since replacing my old GPU with the GTX 760. Also it's being bottlenecked by my CPU which is at a constant 90 - 100% during Battlefield 4 which maybe is an issue?

Also maybe it's my PSU? It's a really cheap 600W model (Sumvision), but hadn't had any problems before I replaced my GPU.

Thanks for any help!

It's not at all hot for CPU's. So It's not CPU overheating.

it could be multiple things. What are the GPU temps?

your cpu isn't bottlenecking your gpu. OC the cpu a bit more and see if that reduces cpu usage however. Your PSU is of issue simply because its a crappy one. Give us the rail readouts (download CPUID HWMonitor) that are shown in the first section. It may not be supplying reliable power. GPU temps are also useful.

It's not at all hot for CPU's. So It's not CPU overheating.

it could be multiple things. What are the GPU temps?

Yes I didn't think it would be. How may I check the temp of the GPU? I have a temp gauge on the front of my PC but I am guessing that's just overall temperature. Thanks for responding though

---------- Post added at 03:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:01 PM ----------

your cpu isn't bottlenecking your gpu. OC the cpu a bit more and see if that reduces cpu usage however. Your PSU is of issue simply because its a crappy one. Give us the rail readouts (download CPUID HWMonitor) that are shown in the first section. It may not be supplying reliable power. GPU temps are also useful.

I didn't think it would but it's a fairly old CPU opposed to the GPU which is much better, also for some reason in Battlefield 4 it uses A LOT of CPU power almost 100%, isn't that bottlenecking?

I uploaded a picture from HWMonitor so you can see, maybe it is the PSU it was extremely cheap (only £15 - $25) for a 600w maybe you're right it can't get enough power since I added the new powerful Nvidia GPU.

Thanks for your help!

Attachments

• HWMonitor.jpg
    HWMonitor.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 11
Yes I didn't think it would be. How may I check the temp of the GPU? I have a temp gauge on the front of my PC but I am guessing that's just overall temperature.

You can't count on the temp gauge. Check the CPU temps with Core Temp

As for the GPU temperature:
The program you just downloaded should tell you the temperature, but i can't see it on the image.
If you can't make the program show the temperature, then download GPU-Z Video card GPU Information Utility

Last edited:
I know the problem and its the psu. the readings on the rails are absolutely deplorable. 2v on the 5v rail and 7v on the 12v rail. thats REALLY bad. You need a new psu. get a quality corsair psu.

CORSAIR HX Series HX750 750W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply New 4th Gen CPU Certified Haswell Ready - Newegg.com

this is an extremely good power supply and its on a really big sale. this is an incredible deal that I wouldn't pass up. I would get the new power supply quickly before your current one takes down your whole system.

Well for a power supply, you ideally want a 12 amp current on the primary rail. Also for all of the various rails (3.3, 5, and 12 volt) you want the readout to be as close to the numbers as possible or above them. Under voltage will directly impact stability, hence why his computer is shutting down during game play. There isn't enough power getting to his components. He absolutely needs a better power supply.

You definatley need a new PSU as jarl said those voltage readings are horrible and can cause seriouse issues if not replaced quickly

Sent from my LG-MS770 using Computer Forums mobile app

Back
Top Bottom