Computer running slow (don't think it's a virus)

ACDC ROX said:
wait Kuberr how did u make ur comp faster?

he said that it became faster when he uninstalled norton. I think that is clear enough. This is most likely happening because norton takes up alot of ram.

It's worth a try, but remember to get some other anti-virus to ur comp, u should always have atleast 1. I'd suggest AntiVir or AVG, or both. Both have free versions which (in my opinion) are better than norton, and if u want to pay u can get the better version of those products.

It does seem Norton is the problem (haven't tired uninstalling it yet though). Are the svchist.exe's to do with Norton? I've got a feeling they are and they do seem to take up a lot of mem usage!

can we have the system specs of this comp?

cuz my friend has a windows millenium with like an old dell and a pentium 3 at 600mhz or something and it has just norton anti virus, and it is slow.

but if it is a fast computer i would thing a virus, spy/ad/mal ware scan, and and thing other scans would be good.

like cwshedder and the spbot and all that good stuff

No, the svchost.exe's are Microsoft services, but Norton has its own share of processes, almost as much as all the svchost.exe's combined.

My PC's in my specs.

Have you already tried defragmenting the hard drive? And deleting your cookies and temp files. That sometimes will help speed up a computer a little. And run an anti-spyware, like microsoft's free anti-spyware beta, to clean out any junk that may be on it.

Hmm.. That is a tough one, I would say go with what they said and remove Norton for a bit and see how it goes. If it doesnt slow down any then thats not the culprit.

Do you happen to know when her problem started? Is it recent or has it always done this? If its recent you MIGHT be able to do a simple Restore Point

Sorry don't know the full spec's but it's a emachine 960 upgraded with a 9800pro (from a geforce 4 mx) plus a gig of ram (from 512), 2gig p4 and 80gig HD.

When this problem first started was soon after the 9800 went in (but soon after not straight after).

Still haven't got round to uninstalling Norton yet!

Back
Top Bottom