Computer running slow (don't think it's a virus)

joebmc

Solid State Member
Hi,

Just recently I have been experience an issue with my pc. When it first starts up it runs really slow but if I restart the pc 4 or 5 times if I'm lucky it will run like a dream.
Now I've run a full virus scan (Norton) plus ad aware and spybot (all updated) but the problem still persists.
Also had a look in msconfig and tried a selective start up but still the same problem.
I just find it strange that after a quite few restarts it works fine!

Any ideas?

Well this is everthing thats running

Can anyone tell what i dont need running.

u r a girl? i am not saying that is bad but ur thing is joebmc

and uhhh well sometimes when i have been doing some filmstrip work my compo goes so slow on me but i dont think that is what you have.

maybe u have a virtual memory problem.

i dont know how to fix those though

WAIT ati2evxx.exe do you have a radeon 9200 se video card? cuz that is what i have and that is what process i have running, (this wont help u with ur problem but i just want to know.)

start -> run -> msconfig -> startup

Uncheck any stuff that u don't need and look for a virus etc.
If u don't know what something is use google.

Remove NORTON! It's worth a try at least. I did it, and my PC just got a lot faster. Well, I'll tell you what I actually did.

I was looking at the XP Tweaks, and I came upon an optimization that told me to disable all non-Microsoft services. I did that, rebooted, and it was BLAZINGLY fast, faster than ANYTHING I've seen in the past month. But, some of my programs couldn't function. So I checked back all the services, and it was laggy as usual. So then I look at the non-Microsoft services, and Norton takes up like 6 services. I just uninstalled it minutes ago, and I've never felt happier in my life.

Of course, if Norton is important to you, then by all means keep it. I'm just relating to my experience.

Back
Top Bottom