Beta Member

Send a message via Skype™ to chibi
Default Computer running slow

Aloha.
I have a Pavilion dv2-110br HP Notebook which I got in March of 2009
Memory: 1.8 GiB.
OS-type is 32-bit.
HD disk: 240.4 GB Free Space; 170.1 GB

I use it pretty much for coding, social network, e-mail and videos. Recently(the last months) I found it real slow to do certain things, such as watching videos on streaming websites or multitasking, every time I open a few folders and software programs it gets real slow. What could I do to improve the performance of it?

Thanks in advance,

Amanda

chibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:28 PM   #2
Daemon Poster

Default Re: Computer running slow

These things that you found to be slow -- were they slow before?

dale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 05:49 AM   #3
Solid State Member

It was happened due to multiple process was executing in a similar time period. If you don't have most up-to-date antivirus then install it so very promptly because if you download some stuff then a set of small hidden applications also get download automatically & this will cause the speed deduction of PC.
louisgarcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:17 PM   #4
In Runtime

Send a message via Skype™ to Kmart1212

Download a program called CCleaner and run it, let me know how much data is removed.
CCleaner - CNET Download.com
Kmart1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:35 PM   #5
Site Team

Send a message via AIM to celegorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by louisgarcia View Post
It was happened due to multiple process was executing in a similar time period. If you don't have most up-to-date antivirus then install it so very promptly because if you download some stuff then a set of small hidden applications also get download automatically & this will cause the speed deduction of PC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmart1212 View Post
Download a program called CCleaner and run it, let me know how much data is removed.
CCleaner - CNET Download.com
Both of you need to read her post more carefully. She's running linux so the odds of her having a virus are low and CCleaner doesn't currently have a linux version.

Assuming these things were not slow before as Dale has asked, What did you do (if anything) before you noticed the slow down? I'm thinking you either installed something (update, new software etc) or a piece of hardware is going bad. I'd run Memtest (I think that's a boot option for ubuntu) and then go and get a copy of Seatools and run that to test the hard drive. If you don't have a seagate HDD, it will still work but it won't provide the ability to repair bad sectors.

Team Thelegorm! Total Kills: 21 (i iz in uor profile, editsing your sigz)
celegorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 02:23 PM   #6
In Runtime

Send a message via Skype™ to Kmart1212

Didn't even read that my bad lol
Kmart1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 05:59 PM   #7
Daemon Poster

Ubuntu temp files and caches are cleared automatically by the system. Logs are rotated automatically, removing old log files to make room for new ones. And there is no regsitry so there's no need to clean one..

Follow as celegorm says.
Core i7 3770K, Gigabyte GA-Z77P-D3, Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO, Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB DDR3, ASUS GeForce GTX 650 Ti, Corsair Series CX750w, Intel 320 Series SSD, WD Caviar Black 1TB, Pioneer BDR-207DBK 12x Blu Ray/DVD, Black Night Case, Saitek & Razer, Windows 7 Pro SP1 x64, ZA Antivirus + Firewall
*= WildCat =* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:23 PM   #8
Beta Member

Send a message via Skype™ to chibi

Quote:
Originally Posted by celegorm View Post
Both of you need to read her post more carefully. She's running linux so the odds of her having a virus are low and CCleaner doesn't currently have a linux version.

Assuming these things were not slow before as Dale has asked, What did you do (if anything) before you noticed the slow down? I'm thinking you either installed something (update, new software etc) or a piece of hardware is going bad. I'd run Memtest (I think that's a boot option for ubuntu) and then go and get a copy of Seatools and run that to test the hard drive. If you don't have a seagate HDD, it will still work but it won't provide the ability to repair bad sectors.

Thank for for the most clever and attentive response. Since I do not have a CD/DVD driver and right now I do not own an external driver, I will ask for some friend to lend me one and follow your instructions. I will give you a feedback.

chibi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
free space, hpnotebook, running slow