computer running slow

ahcampbe

Beta member
I have two sticks of 128mb Ram to total 256 mb of Ram. I am using Windows 2000. When I am not connected to the internet my comuter runs fast, I can multi task and everything. But once I use my ethernet connection for DSL my computer starts to run considerably slower. Does any one know what the problem may be?

Hmm...i doubt it is spyware or something, and seems more likley to do with drivers or the connection taking valuable CPU power since its connnected and sending out and recieving back data.

I doubt your ram is anything to do with it either, since that should be fine.

A good card for internet usage shouldnt use CPU power hardly at all since it'd be built to handle this type of thing on its own.

By any chance is it a card built into the motherboard as it were? Or is it an external card you got given with the internet connection when you bought it?

If its a card thats built into the motherboard, you might have found your issue, and might be best to buy a DSL board that will fit into a PCI slot and allow you for internet access (talk to your Internet Service Provider)

If it is an external card, then i'm stuck as it shouldn't be using that much resources...

I hope this helps :)

Kage you think very well when it comes to computers...it is built into the motherboard and i have a seperate ethernet card that i can put into the pci slot...tell me your suggestions?

You might also look into the pop-up blockers and virus protection that your DSL supplier may be using as it will also slow you down a bit.

Yep, i'd stop using that one on the motherboard now, and start using the external DSL connection you have for PCI.
If you connect your DSL connection to it and you have installed drivers (you might not have to if you are on windows XP, it might just recognise them and install them), and it doesn't work, call your ISP (Internet Service Provider) and see if they can give it a new i.p or something to get it going.

So yes, after doing this, you might have to setup your internet connection again, but you will get the faster speeds probably that you should get, plus it'll use far less resources and you will be able to multitask!

I hope this helps :)

Back
Top Bottom