Computer running really slow

fsimoes

Beta member
Please help me. I've come to my wits end. I am currently running a 1.6ghz processor with a gig of memory on windows xp pro with 200 gigs of harddrive space. I'm using aol antivirus and have three or four other spyware detectors/blockers. My computer runs as slow as molasses. What is going on? I also use a reg cleaner as well. Does anyone have any suggestions this has been an ongoing issue for me. Any comments would be most appreciated.

Peace in your crease!

fsimoes said:
Please help me. I've come to my wits end. I am currently running a 1.6ghz processor with a gig of memory on windows xp pro with 200 gigs of harddrive space. I'm using aol antivirus and have three or four other spyware detectors/blockers. My computer runs as slow as molasses. What is going on? I also use a reg cleaner as well. Does anyone have any suggestions this has been an ongoing issue for me. Any comments would be most appreciated.

Peace in your crease!

AOL makes your computer run slow as molasses.

Well, you really only need one AV, AS, and Firewall. Not a whole bunch of them.

Also I'd go into msconfig and uncheck any processes that you do not need running at start up.

TuneUp Utilities is a good system optimisation program.

Edit: You might want to defrag your HDD as well.

If all of the above fails to increase the speed of the computer, you might be due for a format, that is if you want to. Also, what type of CPU is it, as in Celeron, P4 etc

Matt

hehe, I turned off everything AOL, and now my computer seems newer than it is (about a couple weeks). Currently I have nothing running on my computer other than the bare essentials (battery, wireless, sound) Pretty amazing what non-AOL users can do :D:D:D

Thanks everyone. All of your suggestions where great. And my computer is running 110% better.

Peace in your crease!

Back
Top Bottom