Computer restarts on loading screen of windows xp!!!

speedy1632

Solid State Member
Hi, I am having issues with my computer I got a new video card installed and when the computers turns on it loads normally then when it goes to the windows xp logo the bar goes by once then it reboots itselfs. Any ideas why I have fooled around the the video and pci configurations in the bios and the only thing that has changed is the bar goes by a couple more times then reboots. Can someone please help me? The video card I put in was ATI Radeonâ„¢ X1300 DIAMOND Stealth X1300 PCIE 512MB. When I use the normal video card on the motherboard it works perfect. So is it the bios,power supply? Any ideas?
Thx.

My specs are:
pentium 4- 2.80 Ghz
hdd-80 gig
RAM-2 gig.
power supply- 420 watts

You are right on the threshold for your Power Supply wattage. Do you have a make/model for your PSU? If it's a crappy off brand, this could very well be the problem. If everything works fine with your other graphics card, it's either the new one is faulty or it's your power supply.

http://www.diamondmm.com/X1300PCIE512.php

I'll let you know by tonight I'm at work right now
thanks.

hey sorry the pwoer is 430 watts not 420 but anyways the brand is thermal take.

um sort of but not it has a white tag not black tag and it is a intel motherboard the model of mine is XP550 NP

Look, you're going to need to give me the exact model of power supply. The motherboard is a nonfactor right now.

um sort of but not it has a white tag not black tag and it is a intel motherboard the model of mine is XP550 NP

I just gave you the exact model Model:XP550 NP

If you used some punctuation, I wouldn't have assumed what I assumed. If you read that sentence again, it sounds like you're giving me the MB model. :rolleyes:

Anyways, my guess is that it's the PSU. Judging by the sticker (below) it only has one 12v rail putting out 18A. Now, I'm not a PSU genius, but this would be my gut instinct. I've used a similar thermaltake model before on a build, but I'd never use a low powered one such as this with a graphics card. Most likely, this is what's causing your problem.

9p3s.jpg

Also, when you say the "normal video card on the MB" do you mean the integrated graphics? Or was there previously a different graphics card in the MB?

oh sorry. I'm not sure what you mean intergrated but I mean that the default video card built into the motherboard. I assume thats intergrated.

how much watts do you reccommend? and brand?

Well, let's not jump to any conclusions yet.

Can you go into BIOS and let me know what you've got the video settings on?

Back
Top Bottom