Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Join Computer forums Today

Old 05-09-2011, 01:03 PM   #1
Baseband Member
Default Computer Restarted 3 times suddenly

Wasn't sure where to post this but yesterday my computer restarted 3 times without warning. I was running 4 clients of eve-online which I have done a million times and poof the pc restarted but once or twice the one of my 3 screens had a frozen picture on it.

Before and during the evening my UPS battery back up, which is about 7 years old, was clicking more then usual. I read that could be caused by it going to battery power or the circuit cleaning dirty power or something like that.

After the 2nd restart I decided to clean out the PC of dust which is was nasty. Was thinking it might be over heating. I have 3 220mm fans plus the hydro water cooler for cpu with 2 fans in a push/pull configuration.

Once I cleaned out the PC I tried playing again and that is when it restarted the 3rd time. This time I removed the UPS and used a generic power strip just to see if that would make a difference. At about this point it was bed time.

When I woke this morning the computer was still on where I left it at. Do you think this was a problem with my UPS? Just old and finally kicking the bucket?

Right now I have 2 eve clients on and chrome, PC is running from 32C to 44C and keeps going up and down as fans adjust. Thanks for any help and I will post updates if anything else happens.

Cooler Master Storm Sniper | AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition | ASUS M4A88TD-V
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 12GB DDR3 SDRAM | Sapphire Radeon HD 4870 1GB
Hitachi 1TB 7200RPM, 16MB, SATA-300 | Western Digital 500 GB Caviar Black | DVD-RW
PC Power & Cooling 750W SLI Certified
jrs6494 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 01:11 PM   #2
Default Re: Computer Restarted 3 times suddenly

Perhaps there is something wrong with your CPU.

clacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 01:12 PM   #3
Fully Optimized

well, if removing the UPS removed the problem, there's your answer. If it was overheating, it would shut down completely and not turn on for a few minutes.
EVGA SLI Micro Z68 // Intel i5-2500k // 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1866MHz // Overclocked 2GB MSI R9 270X // Corsair Carbide SPEC-03 // Kingston Hyper-X 120GB // 2TB WD Green + 500GB WD Black
~Darkseeker~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 05:39 PM   #4
Site Team

sounds like your UPS is nearing the end of its life. You could possibly see if you can upgrade the firmware on the UPS (If its 7 years old I guess it dont have firmware) Was there any software that you installed on your PC?? If yes you could check for an update or remove the software completly
My Info :Ex-Owner of Computer Forums .org -- CCA in Citrix Presentation Server 4 + 5 + Xenserver 5.5
Site Info
: Free System Recovery Disk - Latest Articles - Latest Posts - Site Rules
More Info
: If you have any Questions Send Me A PM
JCB is offline   Reply With Quote