Computer to replace entertainment center

yankie_1132

Solid State Member
I'd like to build an entertainment center computer that will replace these units:

-Bluray/dvd player
-Surround sound system/receiver
-DVR

and have the capability to:
-Watch sat/cable tv
-Connect to game consoles/VCRs/other devices via RCA
-Surf the internet still
-Remote control for TV

All while connected to a nice Plasma/LCD/LED or something.

Pretty much an all in one unit for the livingroom. When I want to watch tv, I can use it. If I want to surf the net, or do computer related stuff, I can.

Any ideas? I am capable of putting it all together, just haven't done the research to see who's done it yet.

Well it's gonna be kinda hard fitting that all in. Do you want like a nice big Tv for your living room (60+) because a 42 inch is $800 and then you only have $100 left. So what size do TV do you want? Because you may have to raise your budget.

Well it's gonna be kinda hard fitting that all in. Do you want like a nice big Tv for your living room (60+) because a 42 inch is $800 and then you only have $100 left. So what size do TV do you want? Because you may have to raise your budget.

This just in: 800+100=1000... lol :p

I agree, budget needs to be raised for sure. A decent surround sound isn't going to be cheap either. I'd just plug the game consoles and VCR into the TV instead of through the computer. Do they even make RCA plug ins for the computer?

This just in: 800+100=1000... lol :p

I agree, budget needs to be raised for sure. A decent surround sound isn't going to be cheap either. I'd just plug the game consoles and VCR into the TV instead of through the computer. Do they even make RCA plug ins for the computer?

This just in 800+100 DOES equal $1000 in the Pc world. Why? Cause operating system is $100 :D
So we could do like a $450 PC and then like $1000-1600 for the tv and speakers.

Im guessing he was talking about the computer being under 1k. I dont think anyone would really think realistically they are getting a computer with those capabilities and a large LCD/plasma/led tv for under 1k.

@ OP im sure that it is completely doable for just about everything you are trying to accomplish with that budget. If you get a TV tuner that will allow you to do the same thing as a DVR would since you can store the shows you want on your hard drive in your computer. The only thing is like others said there really is no reason to try and hook up your consoles to your computer. If you just use the inputs on your TV to hook them up you will be fine and the surround sound in your PC will be coming from the TV so it will be the same.

All you really need is a computer with specs capable of playing all the media you are looking to simulate.

BluRay Player
TV Tuner
Sound Card (although some motherboards do have pretty good surround sound onboard I would still go with a sound card for optimal sound)
Wireless Remote for Computer

Most of this stuff isn't really that expensive at all to add to a good PC build so Im pretty sure you wont have a problem at all building an HTPC with these capabilities for under 1K

Sorry, the budget is just for the computer itself, exclude tv surround sound system and all that.

And yes, I realized that game consoles don't have to be plugged it. I guess I was really looking at an all for one deal. Looks like the only thing the computer will combine is a bluray and dvr, with the capability to surf the net.

Anyone know of good front loaders, or software for this, to be user friendly at selecting tv mode, dvr, etc, instead of having a windows screen and navigating through windows when trying to use it? thanks.

Back
Top Bottom