Is the computer repair business too saturated to get back into?

maroj2481

In Runtime
Well, I have started a PC repair business back in 07, but honestly didn't do anything with it. I am out of a job right now, and was thinking of getting back in. But do people still pay to get their computers fixed? The only thing I really have to lose in this, is time. What do you guys think? I would really like to work for myself instead of other people. And although I don't see that many PC repair businesses around here, I see tons of people advertising pc repair on craigslist.

I have a friend who does this sort of thing in his spare time (advertises his work in the window of the local newsagents) but i'm not sure how it is at the moment. I know he did a couple of jobs for the Primary School near him which needed a LOT of attention but these days most schools have someone who can do that on site! I think it all depends on how far you are prepared to travel and whether you can find somewhere to advertise to lots of people.

Your wasting your time if you want to repair desktops. The number of computer repair shops has dwindled in the past few years. The only way you'll attract people is to have a "laptop repair" shop. If you label it "PC" or "computer" repair, you wont attract customers as you would under "Laptop repair". And I'm talking about real repairs, not ram upgrades, reinstalling the OS or removing a virus.

I think maybe the need has changed, advertise things like virus removal, health check, setup of backup your data. I feel people can fix there own PCs now due to looking it up on the internet ?

There are still plenty of people out there that won't make any attempt to fix their own computer, even though they could use the internet to look up how to do it. They are afraid they will do something wrong and make things worse.

There's plenty of people that just don't know a thing about computers and don't care to learn. I think most of the people in my Computer Maintenance course at college started out not even ever seeing the inside of a desktop computer much less taking it apart, and their software expertise didn't extend much past regular use...and that is people who chose Computer Maintenance as their major... Not saying you have to know everything, but I kinda wonder how many computer techs there are out there that started out not even interested in computers and still don't know anything when it comes to doing the job. And there are plenty more people that don't know a thing and don't care to fix it, so they take it to a shop. Offer some competitive pricing being a 1 man side thing and some people will come to you with issues. I've fixed some people's computers and I wasn't even advertising that I do that. They just saw I had ads up on craigslist that I fixed and resold computers. I gave them a good price and fixed their computer and they were happy. I think the biggest issue with most people is spyware/viruses. So make sure you know how to remove that stuff without doing a Windows reinstall. Everyone is scared of doing a reinstall since they need their data that they never back up and their software they lost the discs for a couple years ago. :p

well, it's not unusual that people will know someone who know's someone who will repair or upgrade or whatever for cheaper or free.

Me and my dad have both done A+. He left it there and just works from home with PCs while also working in retail. I spend the days in an IT contractor and also run my own sort of 'business' who's main purpose is so i have something as a front when making trade accounts to get stuff cheap.

basically, it's not over saturated, just saturated enough that chances are someone knows someone usually, whether or not they're willing to listen to that person is a different story though.

Back
Top Bottom