Computer Rebuild...Need some advice

OCdjg

Beta member
Hi everybody. I'm new to this forum and this is my first post so please be gentle :D

Anyhow my desktop took a dump on me and I can't seem to figure out what the heck happened. First off let me tell you what I have...

-P4 2.4ghz proccessor
-Socket 478 MSI motherboard (MS-6769 model)
-2 hdd's, main is a western digital 40 gig, slave is a 20 gig same brand.
- 768 mb of DDR400 memory
-Running windows XP pro w/SP3
-All in a ATX mid tower with a 300watt max power supply

So the other day I went to start my computer and it booted up like normal but then after the windows logo appeared there was a quick flash of blue and then an immediate restart. The computer continues to do this over and over again. I've tried booting from my cd rom but no luck. Any ideas what the problem could be?

Oh and if I decide to rebuild this machine, what parts do you suggest I change out?

Well first of all it doesnt sound like a hardware problem.

Try to reformat. Set the boot order to boot from CD. You do this in the BIOS.

Well first of all it doesnt sound like a hardware problem.

Try to reformat. Set the boot order to boot from CD. You do this in the BIOS.

I've done that and still no luck. I've set it so it only boots from the cd but no luck.

hum. interesting issue. Have you tried install a free OS like ubuntu.

OK so I checked and I now know I have only 768 mb of memory and I am runnin a 300w max PSU, its the one that came with my ATX mid tower. The thing has got to be at least 3-4 years old now. Could that power supply be bad?

hum. interesting issue. Have you tried install a free OS like ubuntu.

No I haven't tried that.

I don't think it's the PSU else it wouldn't boot up at all
+1, PSU wouldn't be the first place to look after a blue screen.

Corrupt HD like Joga said perhaps, or it could be one of your RAM sticks, try booting with just one and then with the other.

UPDATE....
Ok so after many hours spent on my stupid computer
banghead.gif
, I'm now starting to believe its my motherboard.
crash.gif

I, like many other folks these days, am tight with money. Keeping that in mind, do you guys think its a good idea to just try to find a replacement motherboard and reuse my old stuff? Or should I get a new motherboard, processor and memory? I'm pretty confident that I can salvage my mid tower, dvd read/write drive and my HDD's. Any suggestions?

Back
Top Bottom