Computer randomly shutting off

Fanatic4Christ

Daemon Poster
Ok so for the past week my computer has been randomly shutting off. This morning I woke up with it frozen so I restart it and I get a error when trying to boot saying "Windows/something/system can not be found" and I cant boot off that hard drive anymore. The psu is about a year old and is a orion i believe. I thought it may be the video card but it shuts of with out that in and it also shuts off without the hard drive in it (using my old hdd). I usually clean it oit for dust every 2-3 months and just recently cleaned it. Any ideas of what else it may be?

Not sure of all the specs on it but the specs in my sig should be right

Sounds to me like your HDD died. Maybe the power supply is dying and killed it? It could also be overheating somewhere, maybe the processor. Can't hurt to run a memtest either.

Try resetting your overclock to default clock speed. Overclocking, while very awesome, can produce some funky situations like these.

Can you enter the Bios ?
Do you have any system timeing set ?
How do you shut down ?
Don't blame HD so quick.
A few bucks at a store will test it.
Good Luck

Try resetting your overclock to default clock speed. Overclocking, while very awesome, can produce some funky situations like these.

Yup. Sounds like an overclock gone awry. Once the system has been dialed back to stock, run a memtest on the system, and if that checks out ok, run a chkdsk on the hard drive to fix any problems the O/C may have caused. If the system remains stable, you found your problem. If not, reply back and we can try other ideas too.

A few bucks at a store to test a hard drive? I never trust anyone to test my system, hard drive or otherwise for "just a few bucks".

If you want to test the hard drive, GWSCAN is your friend.

The hdd is not the cause of it turning off. The only thing I did Before it atarted happening was I overclocked the video card but now even with it out it randomly shuts down.... I'll have to try and run the memtest and reset the overclock to stock. I know that its not overhearing because I was watching the temps when it shut off plus you can kind of feel it. Maybe its the psu from the extra power draw from overclocking it

I don't know the cost,but hoped it wasn't a Internet purchase.
Who pays the freight ?
I want my ?'s answered like enter the Bios.Thats where the clocking is by the way.

Back
Top Bottom