Computer randomly shuts down

kylewright87

Beta member
Hi,

A few weeks ago I was having abit of a clean. I needed to get behind the computer desk so I disconnected everything and rested it all on my bed... long story short, the computer fell off the bed. I didn't think it would be too much of a problem because it was a relativly short drop. Also, I suppose I should mention that the computer worked flawlessy before this incident.

Right, onto the problem. After it dropped, I immediatly set it all back up again and switched it on. It booted up... Log In screen, windows loads, everything is running fine. Until a couple of hours later, while I was gaming, it randomly shut down, without any warning. I booted up again, started the game up again, half an hour later it randomly shuts down again. This has been happening consistently (well, every time i've bothered to try and use it in the last month).

I am not at home at the moment so I can't list the total hardware spec... if it's needed, I will reply from home later.

It will also be important to mention that everything on the computer runs as normal. There are no boot up anomolies, no beep sequences, no error messages, its doing nothing that it wasnt doing before... except shutting down without warning.

After a few attempts at using it in this state, I have noticed it seems to shut down when it is in heavy useage. For example, one night I was gaming and listening to music and I couldn't keep it alive for more than half an hour. Another time I booted it up just to test my theory... I left it alone and it stayed on for 2 days straight... thinking the problem was solved I started to use it... 20 minutes later it shuts down. I am thinking, because of this that it may be the RAM? But I should also note that once or twice (usually after a random shut down) I try to boot up and it hasn't even got to the log in screen before it shuts down.

I also thought I may have damaged the power supply when it dropped... but I think the issues above have happened far too consistently to just be a coincidence.

Anyway, if anybody has had a similar problem or knows of any solutions, it would be greatly appreciated. Tomorrow is payday and I would really like to be able to go and buy the parts I need and get it back up and running.

Thanks for reading

You need to check inside the pc for any obvious damage, ie cracked mobo/broken tracks. Is the heatsink on properly? if it seems to crash when in heavy useage, heat might be the problem. Also something could have broken inside the psu a component that breaks down now its broken during high useage. Basically u need to check to make sure its all connected ok, a knock like cud have dislodged something, also check to make sure that the board isnt now shorting out on something metal, ie the case.

Use memtest to test the ram as well, to make sure this is ok, im afraid it could be more than one thing damaged after the drop, now its a matter of testing and eliminating the good parts.

I have inspected the insides a couple of times and havn't found anything. Everything seems to be in order (although I havnt checked if the mobo is in contact with anything it can short from).

I don't know the exact spec off the top of my head, but all that is in there is Mobo / Hard Drive / 2 x 512MB RAM Sticks / DVD Writer / Processer & Power Supply. Everything else (graphics / sound etc) is run from the mobo. I would assume if it was the RAM, the drop would of damaged the mobo also (with them being lodged into the mobo...), but like I said, there are no anomolies at all, when it works, it works perfectly, except for the shut down. I thought a mobo problem lets you know in no uncertain terms that its not feeling to good. I wouldnt think the hard drive of dvd would have anything to do with the problem. and to be honest, I'm not too clued up on Processors and Power Supplies, so I wouldnt know how to test them.

I have another computer at home as well (albeit, not a very good one in comparison :(

I will test the RAM using that computer and memtest tonight

You could try swapping psu out of the other pc to this one as long as its beefy enough to test if it still crashes, that will rule out the psu in the dropped pc.

Back
Top Bottom