Computer randomly freezes

Calibound88

Daemon Poster
Bout three weeks ago my computer has frozen about 6 times. Some days it will freezes 2-3 times. Most days it won't.

It only seems to freeze when I'm online and there is high bandwidth/traffic such as when i'm watching a video,downloading or playing games.

I know it freezes because the mouse cursor cannot move and the num lock key will not light on

I did a chkdsk and there was a problem:

"the master file table's (MFT) BITMAP attribute is incorrect"

IDK what that means and I don't know if it is relevant to my computer freezing up.

I know for sure there are no spyware/malware/viruses

I have mcafee suite, spybot, windows defender

My performance hasn't slowed down, it just sometimes freezes

Agreed. " the master file table's (MFT) BITMAP attribute is incorrect " Is a problem with your operating system. Which is caused from your hard drive most likley, Re-Installing your operating system will in most cases repair it, If it doesnt. I suggest taking out your hard drive and looking for any sort's of damage as that's how it is caused some times and buy a new hard drive. Western Digital's are extremely reliable so I recommend one of theres.

nah, cpu temps are fine below 40 c

gpu is fine...though i doubt it will cause entire system to freeze. maybe

and i definitely do not wanna install vista again, this would be my last resort.

The computer runs fine, just sometimes stops.....

...and i uh, ran chkdsk and resolved the problem

^ seagate, just as reliable

I did a chkdsk and there was a problem:

"the master file table's (MFT) BITMAP attribute is incorrect"

IDK what that means and I don't know if it is relevant to my computer freezing up.

I know for sure there are no spyware/malware/viruses

I have mcafee suite, spybot, windows defender

My performance hasn't slowed down, it just sometimes freezes

Dr.MS to the rescue on MFT problems. http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/303079

Freeze up while browsing or downloading can be IE related problems having nothing to do with temps or hardwares while everything else runs like a charm. While testing 7 here the beta version of IE 8 loves to freeze up solid at times especially when left idle on a page too long.

This is also been seen on XP and Vista as well as the 7 beta. Both of those see the finished version of IE 7 there. The way you are connecting can have a role as well like using a usb adapter over hard wiring like a modem or Lan direct plugin. WiFi often sees problems as well.

meh...i run it for a couple more weeks. if it doesnt freeze, ill consider the problem resolved.

^ i dont use ie 7, i use mozilla 3

but...that second paragraph does intrigue me

i use a usb adapter to connect to the internet. My comp also seems to freeze when i connect to much stuff into the usb ports

1 hdd
1 mouse
1 usb adapter
2 usb
1 zune

Even with Mozilla, FireFox, Opera, Safari used inplace of IE the connect through usb method adding a usb mouse, keyboard, and other devices on isn't dedicated enough. One thing done here when an illuminated keyboard was too much for the usb bus was too add on a hub.

Now using a second identical hub the keyboard doesn't pull the bus down. The printer also usb as well as the flash drive share one 4 port hub with the usb IE adapter. Each sees equal power with the external powered hub maintaining a constant power level.

Back
Top Bottom