Baseband Member
We have a Gateway Computer Pentium 4 HT 2.2 gig
512mb ram in in dual mode
80 gig hd
17 in gateway monitor
I have a Vinyl Plotter hooked up via LPT1/printer port
A Vinyl Cutter is hooked up Via Serial Com port 1
the computer works fine and then just ramdomly shuts off/resets
but when it resets it doesn come back on properly the fan speed goes to high and theres no post screen and the power button doesn't even work! when i hold the power button down to turn off the computer still stays on.
i unplug it and then plug it back in and it does the same thing!
i usually have to pull a memory chip out and start it then turn it off and reinstall the memory chip and it will start normally.

any ideas?
Thanks!
Vince

We have a Gateway Computer Pentium 4 HT 2.2 gig
512mb ram in in dual mode
80 gig hd
17 in gateway monitor
I have a Vinyl Plotter hooked up via LPT1/printer port
A Vinyl Cutter is hooked up Via Serial Com port 1
the computer works fine and then just ramdomly shuts off/resets
but when it resets it doesn come back on properly the fan speed goes to high and theres no post screen and the power button doesn't even work! when i hold the power button down to turn off the computer still stays on.
i unplug it and then plug it back in and it does the same thing!
i usually have to pull a memory chip out and start it then turn it off and reinstall the memory chip and it will start normally.

any ideas?
Thanks!
Vince

The first thing i'd look at is the PSU because its one of the simplest things to test, first off you should find out what make it is. The best way to test them is with a multimeter. If you have one of these someone else or I can help you test it. Second off, i'd consider the motherboard being bad.

And btw, what kinda cutter and how much did it run?

its a gerber cutter
its for a motocross ID business

i don't remember how much it cost
it was expensive though!

Hmm sounds like a power supply problem to me so i would test that first .
Or maybe a short circuit somewhere

i got another thing also

on the power connector on the motherboard side
there is a burnt mark on the one of the pins.

but the connector on the power supply side is fine no burnt marks
could this be a cause of it ramdomly resetting?

That could very well be causing it. Possibly some over-current was applied to the motherboard. All I can say is that you are pretty SOL. Look for a new motherboard.

That could very well be causing it. Possibly some over-current was applied to the motherboard. All I can say is that you are pretty SOL. Look for a new motherboard.

buying a new motherboard for that system isnt worth it, he would be better off buyin a whole new system.:)

Check your cpu temperature this sounds like a heat issue, also run an antivirus scan.

Back
Top Bottom