Computer quickly turns on, off, and back on before actually booting up.

yournameinink

Beta member
I recently built a computer with a Gigabyte UD5 mobo, core i7 920, 12 GB RAM, Corsair 750TX, Nvidia 9600, two WD drives, Antec Nine Hundred case. I run it on an APC UPS and usually shut the computer off at night, but not the UPS.

Recently I have been getting a lot of late night power outages and the UPS has been waking me up with all the beeping so I decided to start turning the UPS off at night as well. After doing so, I noticed this problem that occurs every time and ONLY when I turn my PC on after turning the UPS on. If the UPS was already on and I shut my computer off and on, the problem does not exist. Basically, when I hit the power button on the PC, all of the lights and fans turn on for about a second, turn off for about a second, then back on and boots up as usual. Other than this, I have not had any problems at all and I have had this computer since Christmas.

I have done a lot of research on this and found other people with similar issues. One person found out it was the ESCD and just had to go into the BIOS and choose "reset configuration data." Unfortunately I don't see that option in my BIOS. I don't think a BIOS flash will help either because I am running version F7 and the ones after it don't seem to address this issue. I have tried running fail safe defaults and this did nothing.

Is it safe for my computer to do this every time I boot up, or is this something I should be worried about and fix immediately?

Someone please help! :confused:

without UPS does this problem occurs??

Wow the strangest thing just happened. I decided to test out your question and plugged it into a different surge protector and it didn't do it. I then (to try and make the situation more similar to what happens with the UPS) turned the computer off, turned the surge protector off, waited a bit, and tried it again and it still didn't do it. I then plugged it back into the UPS and it STILL didn't do it. I guess by unplugging it I accidentally fixed it? Could that have reset something maybe?

Anyway, thank you for asking that question! haha

I'm getting a strange feeling it will happen again tomorrow morning :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom