Computer question?

playatj1211

Solid State Member
When I try to do fresh install of my operating system, my computer keeps getting hung when the files try to load, like when I boot from the cd I get to a certain part of the installation and it just stops and I have to unplug the computer because the keyboard will lock up, now I have tried this with 95,98,2000,and XP and all the OS's will freeze mid way threw the installation process, I have changed the hard drives three times and I still keep getting the same results.

Processor
Interface
Socket 370
Chipset Type
Intel 815EP B-step
Chipset Description
Intel 815EP chipset
Supports 66/100/133 MHz FSB
Form Factor
ATX
Memory Type
SDRAM
Memory Description
Three SDRAM DIMM sockets support up to 512MB
168-pin PC133/PC100 non-ECC, unbuffered SDRAM memory
Expansion Slots
Six 32-bit Bus Mastering PCI slots (V2.2 compliant)
One AGP slot (4x mode)
One CNR Connector
Expansion Slot Types
Six 32-bit Bus Mastering PCI
IDE Type
UDMA 33/66/100
IDE Description
Two independent channels for 4 IDE devices
Supports up to PIO mode 4 and Ultra DMA 33/66/100
Two PCI bus mastering ATA E-IDE ports
IO Port Description
One RS-232 serial ports (16550 UART compatible)
One parallel printer port (SPP/EPP/ECP mode)
One FDD port (supports LS120, 3 modes, 1.2/1.44/2.88MB FDD)
Provides IrDA port with optional cable transceiver
Two serial ports
IO Connection Description
PS/2 Mini-DIN mouse & keyboard ports
Two USB ports
Two D-Sub 9-pin serial ports
One D-Sub 25-pin female printer port
BIOS Description
Award PCI BIOS with green, ACPI, APM, PnP, DMI functions
Year 200 Compliant
Supports multiple-boot from E-IDE / SCSI / CD-ROM / FDD / LS120 / ZIP
2 Mbit Flash ROM
Built-in Security Feature
Health Monitoring Description
Built-in I/O chip hardware monitoring function
On board voltage monitors for CPU Vcore, Vtt, +5V, +12V, 3.3V, 5VSB and Vbat
Four speed control and monitor CPU fan
Fan speed contral and monitor
Precision CPU temperature monitoring through CPU on-die thermal diode
Battery low detection
Dimension Description
Four layers, 30.5 cm x 22 cm (12" x 8.66")
ATX form factor

Certification
FCC Class B & CE EMI Regulation CompliantPC98 ACPI Comp
Compatibilities
WinXP / Win2000 / WinNT / WinME / Win98SE / Win95 / Linux / FreeBSD
Warranty
All SOYO products are designed to offer stability and flexibility, and are tested to ensure highest reliability. We offer a 90 day limited warranty on this SOYO product.

sorry to hear that, did you format your hard drive before installing and how old is your computer?

I would again check that the RAM isn't causing the problem.
It can be if it suddenly goes pair shaped since this is what holds some of the installation files and if it can't hold them properly or something goes wrong, it'd crash.

How many sticks of RAM have you got in your motherboard? 1 of 512mb for example? or 2x 256mb? If you have two sticks, I would try and take out one of the sticks and try and install again, and if it works I'd replace the RAM. If it doesn't, i'd swap the RAM over to the other one and try again.

If you can get hold of RAM that will work on your system to test it, this would be great, as it could easily be the RAM if its not the hard drive :) It could definetly be the source of the problem

Kage said:
I would again check that the RAM isn't causing the problem.
It can be if it suddenly goes pair shaped since this is what holds some of the installation files and if it can't hold them properly or something goes wrong, it'd crash.

How many sticks of RAM have you got in your motherboard? 1 of 512mb for example? or 2x 256mb? If you have two sticks, I would try and take out one of the sticks and try and install again, and if it works I'd replace the RAM. If it doesn't, i'd swap the RAM over to the other one and try again.

If you can get hold of RAM that will work on your system to test it, this would be great, as it could easily be the RAM if its not the hard drive :) It could definetly be the source of the problem

Good advice there, i would bet its something to do with RAM, it could be anything !!!

I'd really think its the RAM thouh in all respects, it can't be the hard drive because it has been swapped many times. Plus I had this problem with a faulty 256mb stick, and it caused soo many problems, you wouldn't believe...

So yeah, the RAM should be rather cheap now to for this system:

PC133/PC100

and it only supports 512mb so can't do much harm in maybe getting a 256mb RAM stick to try it out :)...or should I say, fix the problem entirely ;)

Back
Top Bottom