Computer Problems

The term lemon just refers to a factory defect usually. If you have a warranty I would definatly check with alien gear. I wouldn't worry too much about the virus, as long as its just the files that you are using from your old computer.

aaron12345 said:
The term lemon just refers to a factory defect usually. If you have a warranty I would definatly check with alien gear. I wouldn't worry too much about the virus, as long as its just the files that you are using from your old computer.
Yeah, the case was a little hard to open. I don't know, everything else seems to be working out fine... should I just get another video card...?

Laptop video cards can be hard to replace. And the shutdown restart problem is weird. I'd just go through alienware and have them warranty it.

Sorry about that, my bad. I didn't sleep much last night... really :) I'd still try to get it warrantied considering warranty is free while a new video card that would compliment that system costs a bit of money.

I suspect that you have a faulty driver install. You may need to uninstall your video drivers and then reinstall them... If you got them from the CD then go to the manufacturer's site and download them as the CD may be damaged.
you can also read what M$ has to say about the same issue..
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;829478
I would check out each link that is shown and see if something there also applies....and The first thing I would do is reset everything back to default levels to get it fixed and then overclock from there.

r53s is on time with the warranty situation.

On the virus issue, as it is new system, it is more than likely a driver conflict that is causing you some concern To make sure just run the virus scan on the backup drive and see if there is anything there. And you should always run spyware/malware tools to keep your system clean.

On the start up issue...if you have roxio easy CD creator 5.0 then you need to uninstall it as it doesn't work well with windows xp.
Also do this:
start>my computer>properties>advanced tab>(system start-up and recovery) settings and in new window turn off auto restart in system failure/recovery and ok/apply out. Now when you shut down your system there should be a error code to say what the issues are.

Sorry, I had assumed you'd been through that stuff. Go through it and try all of it, it's all great advice. I did that stuff with my old card and kept getting the same error though, even after driver re-installs, and reformats though. Good luck, hopefully one of those things will fix it.

It should. I'm not sure about the terms, but they might make you send it back to them for them to "diagnose" the problem. In this case see if you can make them send you a shipping label so you don't have to pay shipping, and back up your data.

aaron12345 said:
It should. I'm not sure about the terms, but they might make you send it back to them for them to "diagnose" the problem. In this case see if you can make them send you a shipping label so you don't have to pay shipping, and back up your data.
yeah, at first I thought the door was jammed, so I asked for a return label. oky doke, thanks all... I'll report back ASAP :D

Back
Top Bottom