computer problem

Clarence

In Runtime
I'm dealing with a pc when powered on will make only one beep and cut off completely. Pressing the power button again, there is no power to the system and nothing happens. I'm ruling out the power supply because it has power intermittently. :angel: what else can i try is it the mobo? memory? cpu ... i can do more testing but just wanna here what u guys has to say...

Don't be so quick to rule out the power supply... I had a similar issue when I was using a standard ATX power supply with a motherboard that required a non-standard, HP, power supply (Voltages were different). It started, then beeped once, then shut off - as if the protection kicked in.

Is this a custom build, or is it an of the shelf computer? What is the make and model? Has anything been changed? Was it ok before this?

It could be a multitude of things. But a memory, graphics card, or any other device usually does not force the machine to shut down - they usually keep the thing powered and have warning beeps with specific patterns to signify the fault.

I would check the CPU is properly seated, and fully compatible with the motherboard, check the wiring, perhaps unplug devices and test to see if something is causing a problem. Do this for the power supply for each device too - as if it is an overload issue of sorts, this might help find the culprit.

Anyway, as Johnny Five says: more input...More input! Tell us more about this machine.

Don't be so quick to rule out the power supply...

It could be a multitude of things. But a memory, graphics card, or any other device usually does not force the machine to shut down - they usually keep the thing powered and have warning beeps with specific patterns to signify the fault.

Cut out a bulk from connchri's post but quoted the parts I couldn't agree more with. This to me screams a PSU issue. It could be that it stays on sometimes but crashes like this others because it's just starting to fail.

As mentioned above, disconnect the devices off the PSU where just the motherboard and CPU fan is connected. Video card too if it uses the power cable.

Reason for shutdown may be due to a shorted component.

If it still do that shutdown then it's be on the mobo.

This should be interesting. My old computer had the same issue. Literally. I did not have a clue what was wrong with it, so I just stripped it for parts to use in future rigs. I hope for a better outcome for you.

As mentioned above, disconnect the devices off the PSU where just the motherboard and CPU fan is connected. Video card too if it uses the power cable.

Reason for shutdown may be due to a shorted component.

If it still do that shutdown then it's be on the mobo.

If it's not a Seasonic or Super Flower PSU it's probably failed? Right? :lol::thumb:

Ok Guys thanks for all the post... But here is the final result......

Myself and another senior It Analyst check the pc in work yesterday. We disconnected the psu completely and reinstalled the cables etc. But here is what he did, he made me disconnect the main power button cables(the power on front the tower) on the board and power on the pc. We did a jump start on the board using a Phillip head screwdriver, the fan for the cpu did not activate and he said its a cpu failure.

He is more experience than me so I'm going with what he said, he recommends a new mobo, with cpu and ram. The old HD and DVD ROM will work!!

Thanks again everyone

I don't believe that. It's very, very rare for the CPU itself to die. In fact I've only seen it once in my years working a help desk and even then the behavior was different.

If it didn't power on when you jumped the pins manually then there are 4 likely things that are wrong here from my experience:
  1. The wrong pins were jumped so it didn't turn on
  2. PSU has died or is in some way unable to provide enough power
  3. The motherboard has died
  4. The fan on the CPU has died. Common, would not prevent PC from booting.

Back
Top Bottom