Computer power supply?

dreamfx

Beta member
K, i have a problem with my power supply... or at least i think. I'm not really sure yet but i was on my comptuer one time then it suddenly shut down. I turn it back on then 10 seconds after windows load it suddnely literallly SHUTS DOWN. so i go watch a movie for 2 hours then coem back. i turn it back on then play a dota game on warcraft 3 and it shuts down right away. i turn mycomputer back on and same thing occurs. after windows load it shuts down. Is this a problem with the power supply? in control panel > power options > ups . Here is a screenshot of it.
power.jpg

PLEASE help! thanks!

A UPS is an Uninteruptable Power Supply, and by the looks of it you dont have one, so thats not a problem. If you can then have a look in ya event viewer, and see if there is anything in there as to why its shutting down. Could ya pc be overheating, coz that would cause a similar problem. Also post the specs of ya pc and the current power supply your using

My brother actually had a problem with this but he found out his power supply went

k i'm 100% sure it's not cause of over heating becasue i checked the setup before windwos load and its perfect temperature. how do i check my power supply, etc?

well what's the wattage on your powersupply, did you add any new pieces of hardware lately to your computer? hard drive? new video card? they maybe be using up more power than your computer is used to.. to check the wattage of your psu pop open the case and read the label on the side of the power supply, it should tell you how many watts is in it. the power supply is the box with the outlet on it.

i didin't add anything new lately... i just started. this is my power... i'm pretty sure it can support everything .

- 400W SmartPower 2.0 (SP-400)

hmm yeah... 400watt should suffice for most systems.. considering you're not running two 8800gtx's in SLi... umm...so how long has it been working before this happened.. and did anything peculiar happen before the random restarts?.. it might also be a virus.. so i'd do a virus scan.

It could be a device going bad and not the power supply. Only way to check this is to shut down and remove all the pci cards but the video card and boot back up. Let it run for at least 5 mins. If it doesn't crash the suspect one of the pci cards. Put one back at a time till it crashes. That's the culprit.
If it continues to crash then disconnect all drives but the C: drive and boot back up. let it run. If it doesn't then one of the drives is guilty. Same thing put one back in at a time and boot up.
But the simplest way to check the psu is to connect a digital meter to an unused 12volt connection and wait for it to crash. You're looking to see if the 12volt rail goes away before the system goes down. What I mean by that is the system is based around the 12volt rail. If it drops below 12 to say under 11 volts then the psu is failing or the system is drawing too much current.
In either case going to a higher amp rated power supply is prudent. Watts are nothing. It's the amount of amps on each rail that you look at.

Back
Top Bottom