computer power problems...

I hope this question isn't stupid but I need some help as I am royally confused. I am repairing a computer and purchased a Gigabyte RZ board for these people to install in their HP case. I installed the board and everything no problem and then went to hook up the front panel pin connections and realized it wasn't going to work. HP designs their pins from the front panel into one connection. This board doesn't have the pins laid out the same way so there is no way to connect them! At least none that I can figure out. I really don't want to go buy a new case but I am afraid that is where I am heading. Is there any other way around this problem? I can't cut the plastic and separate the pins as I will most likely damage the pins. I tried just hooking up the power pins and not worrying about the hdd led but that won't even work because in the case connection there is a 'guide' hole. I hope I was as clear as possible. Please let me know if there is something that I can do! Thank you!

Hmm... can you possibly check how the old motherboard was connected up? Does it have different connections? Or some kind of convertor/adaptor?

There has to be an adapter/inverter or you have one really weird motherboard. Oh yea, cutting the stuff isn't a good idea although it did work for me once. Normally that just will screw it up.

Welcome to the PROPRIETARY world!
You should be able to take a jewelers screwdriver and just pop the plugs out of that HP socket. Make a color code diagram of the original layout first. Now if the HP plug will fit the new board, just place the the correct wires in their propper location. This can be determined by looking at the old mobo and it should be marked as what went where. Sometimes there will be wires that are obsolete(turbo). Just leave them alone.

Thank you

Thank you all for your help. I ended up swapping the pins in the connecter. There were two pins on the original board that didn't seem to corrsepond on this board so I just left them out. Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom