computer power problem

mikee

Fully Optimized
One of the computers in my house is having a problem where after you shut it off then go to turn it back on it won't turn on unless you unplug the main power connector to the motherboard then plug it back in then it fires up just fine.

Probably the PSU. Try replacing it with something that could take it's place. If it runs, replace the other PSU. Most power issues like that are normally right at the source of the PSU. Please let us know what happens.

I'll try that. The PSU is a brand new 100$ psu I wasn't expecting problems

Unfortunately, you will occasionally get a DOA. Especially in PSU's and HDD's. But there's a possibility it isn't the PSU.

I think it is a DOA product. Are there any other things you have done before this has happened?

Do you have standoffs on your motherboard? sounds like it may even be shorting off of the metal in your case

It was a barebone kit that came with a crappy psu which was fine for a few months until we got a 9800gtx+ then got the new psu so it would have enough power and the PCIe connectors. It worked fine for about a month then the we had the problem. Now the computer just sits there with the side panel off so we can turn it on.

It could be the PSU. I think it might be your CMOS.

edit: I've seen one or two powering up issues that turned out to be the CMOS.

Take the battery out for 5 minutes; put it back in and boot up. (make sure computer isn't plugged in)

I did the cmos battery thing and I think it's fixed. I think, I'll just have to wait and see if it happens again over the next few days.

Back
Top Bottom