computer pausing - help needed

gussigan

Solid State Member
hey guys, recently i moved from canberra to perth, and ever since the move when i'm using my computer it seems to pause, eg. every 5 minutes or so the whole computer pauses for say 3 seconds, music will stutter if it's playing as if on pause and i can't move the mouse.

i don't think it's RAM as i've got a gb and this occurs even when not doing too much. i've run a virus scan (AVG), Adaware and Spybot, not too sure what else it could be. Given that i've just moved, could it be that something has shifted in the move?

Well, since you said you moved maybe your HD got damaged ? Also check your computer temps you can do this by downloading speedfan (google it) see what the temps are and then get back to us

Next time it does that, try looking at the red LED light that represents hard disk access on the case. If it does that and it's solid red, then something is being accessed on the hard drive slowing everything down. Maybe it just needs basic maintenance (disk cleanup, degrag, etc.).

okay the red light didn't seem to light up, i checked the cpu usage graph and it had a spike, but didn't go aaaall the way up. have done the error checking in disk tools on both hdds and just set it to auto fix, didn't see what the results were but it hasn't fixed it. about to defrag (just gotta move some files around to make 15% space)

got speed fan and the stats say (this doesn't mean that much to me):
ambient - 35C
remote 1: 53 C
remote 2: 33 C
HD0: 41C
HD1: 40C

Okay, thats it. Your hard drive is too full! How large is your hard drive, and what kind of processor do you have. Like make and modle. Because we know the speed.

i have a 200gb drive that still has 10gb free on it and a 120gb that has 11gb free on it. processor is an amd sempron 2600

watch the processes list and see which one is making the cpu jump up 100% when this happens, also do a disk cleanup and a defrag

Wow man you got way to much crap on thos Hd's...Yeah you should def run a disk defrag that should clean evrything up

Back
Top Bottom