Computer Overheating

bongoman

Baseband Member
When playing games, i find that the game freezes for a while (maybe 10 secs) then returns to normal. I have been told it is due to overheating. I was thinking of buying a new heatsink and fan but then i noticed that it was hot around the area where the power supply is. Now my question is whether i should replace my 250W power supply for a higher one or should i buy a heatsink/fan? I want the overheating to stop so i want the best solution. Thanks in advance.

What are your specs? How old is your computer? How long have you had it? How much do you use it on average? yeah.

sorry guys

My computer is roughly 3 years old, bought in 2002. I use it maybe 3-4 hours daily. As for the specs:

Intel P4 1.8ghz
Windows XP home with sp2 installed
512mb ram
Geforce FX 5700 LE 128mb OCed
74g hard drive

i think this all the main stuff. If there is anything else you guys want, just let me know.

I have a 250W PSU and it's already on the limit. I'd prefer to say this: If you have a CPU at 933MHZ or higher, changer it. a 250W PSU is designed for like the P2 and P3...everything that's from (Any ATX mobo) 100MHZ to 800MHZ

EDIT: The PSU is too low. Change it

Now, the pausing randomely in gaming, could be due to the graphics card, and your memory. The graphics card is having a tough time loading everything, so the comp uses system memory to load levels and things. I had 512mb pc-2700 ram and HL2 would pause randomely, I added another stick of ram, and the problem was fixed.

BigLu said:
Now, the pausing randomely in gaming, could be due to the graphics card, and your memory. The graphics card is having a tough time loading everything, so the comp uses system memory to load levels and things. I had 512mb pc-2700 ram and HL2 would pause randomely, I added another stick of ram, and the problem was fixed.
No its not that. Even older games just freeze and then return to normal. I am convinced it has something to do with overheating.

Yeah, I'd say upgrade that following if you can: psu (350w is good, 400-500 if you have $$$), another stick of 512mb ram, and if you can a new vid. card. Your machine would run so smooth...

Back
Top Bottom