Computer not starting! Please help.

CrazyKiwi

Baseband Member
Okay so as a few of you might member I just started building a gaming computer and I just got my i7 today and now that I installed it my computer will not start. I try to turn it on and the fans and everything starts for a few seconds then stops and everything shuts off. When I remove the processor it turns on and runs but with it it doesn't wanna work. Any ideas?

Do you have any error codes that come up or beep codes. It's possible its a bad proccessor. I hope you didn't touch the bottom of it.. You just got to play around with some of the parts. Like make sure the ram is in the right spots. Power is connected correctly. It's frustrating I know, stuff like that always happens to me when I start a new build..

I had this issue pop up the other week. Started the machine no noises nothing, and after 30 seconds off it goes, the problem was actually not all the cables were in correctly, just double check.

+1 for checking cable connections, also look at your cpu socket check to see if there are any bent pins. Also try clearing your cmos just for the hell of it, maybe some setting came weird from the factory that doesn't like your i7. Another thing to check is to make sure you used the standoffs for your motherboard and that you don't having anything shorting the board. also check the backplate for your cpu cooler, if its on too tight in can cause problems as well. One last thing, this should actually be the first thing is RTFM! check your board for beeps or read diagnostic lights and search through your mobo manual for what they mean and if you can find it there call the manufacturer's support.

If you want to take it a step further, to build on Aces Wild's suggestion, when I build a new PC that does this, I take everything out of the case, put some motherboard standoffs under the board and screw them in (so that the board is just elevated off the table) then connect everything I need to start the system. It probably wouldn't hurt to resocket the CPU - I've done it on the i7/775's before and it's not too bad, just don't get into the habit (i.e. bending pins, etc) and then power the system on. If it doesn't do that outside of the tower/case, then you've got a DOA part or fried something.

Take it all apart and put it back together. Repeat until it works. Do it enough and it will start up.

This is assuming you didn't screw with the pins on your CPU and that your RAM and/or mobo aren't DOA.

Back
Top Bottom