Computer noob needs help

Jsygrl

Beta member
Hey there I am a complete computer noob, i don't know what hardware or software is or anything. Not even sure im posting in the right thread. Here is my problem, I bought this computer a few months ago off dino pc, it cost me a grand and said it had a stupid amount of space on it, hence why i bought it. I used to have a crappy old 300 quid laptop that allowed me to have well over 30 steam games downloaded, as well as World of Warcraft, League of Legends, and some other mmo's. Whilst i do have wow downloaded, i have like 3 small steam games downloaded and it tells me i cant download anymore because i have low disc space. When i click on my computer to see whats going on (I have windows 8, dunno if that makes a difference) it says Local disc(C:) has 0 bytes free of 111GB. Next to that is DVD drive (D:) Audio cd. and next to that is new volume (E:) which has 898GB free of 931GB. Why wont stuff download onto that 1 :'(. Need help please can you try to help me as though u were guiding a child, i dont understand computer mumbo jumbo. Thanks in advance for any help.

When you install most software, a box pops up with where it's going to be planted. At that point you can change the drive designation. I wouldn't change anything else.

In other words, change C:\ to D:\ during installation. Although that is very likely to cause it to install to root, so you want to make sure that you define a folder. Name it what you wish.

It seems that the C: drive is the OS partition while the E: drive is for data. That way if the C: drive crash you won't lose the data but the installed files will have to be reinstalled for them to work.

When you install programs point them toward the E: drive.

You are out of space on the C: partition as well. It should have warned you that the C: or any of them for that matter that it was running out of drive space.

Lots of smiles there :)

Before you click on "next" every time you install something, look around for settings like "destination" where you see a button like "browse", or an "advanced" option that has it in another window. Something similar to this:
setup4.png

And further to what the others pointed out, I believe you should clean the drive C:\ and free some space to avoid any misbehavior from the system.

Since your PC probly cost a grand you first HDD will probaly be an ssd, ssd's are much faster than hard drives so you better just leave it alone for windows 8 only. Now in steam you can make a new location for your steam games just give it a google since I have forgotten and its way to early in the morning for me to do any good :) hope this helps

Sent from my VOYAGER2 DG310 using Computer Forums mobile app

Back
Top Bottom