Computer Noob Help!!

NathanSplosion

Beta member
hey guys i just got a pc with these specs and i need some help:

OS- Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
CPU- AMD Phenom II X4 925
Deneb 45nm Tech
RAM- 4 GB Dual Channel DDR2 @ 401MHz (5-5-5-18)
Motherboard- MSI K9N6PGM2-V2 (MS-7309) (CPU1)
Graphics- LC27H060 @ 1920x1080
ATI Radeon HD 5600 Series
Hard Drives- 977GB Western Digital WDC WD10 EARS-00MVWB0 SCSI Disk Device
156 GB Western Digital WDC WD16 00AAJS-65WAA SCSI Disk Device
Audio- ATI High Definition Audio Device

(i got this pc custom built, and i got this info from the Prifrom program called Speccy)

and i basically have no idea what all of that means...id like some SERIOUS help with learning the ins and outs of building a custom computer. i would like to upgrade this computer and make it a decent gaming computer, i also do some editing on this computer as well. if you can help me with this and can tell me what i should upgrade and such PLEASE help. thank you in advance

ps i am also new to this forum so if i put this in the wrong spot then i apologize ahead of time.

ok. what it all meens is following:
i think you know the about the OS.

CPU = the central unit that processes almost everything. thats the brain in the system.
it's an AMD (the company) the prosessor is called phenom 2, and it is a quad core model (4 cores. (like it has 4 brains)) the 925 tells witch cpu it is. there are more the 1 quad core phenom 2.

the deneb 45nm tech: i think it is the size of the cpu's inder cores. most amd's used today are 45nm. smaller the better.

ram = the memory the computer needs to run programes. all the files the cpu prosesses in order to run the programme needs to be stored somewhere.
it will be too unacceptable slow to run the files and store temporary information on the harddisk alone. so thats why we have ram.
you have 4 gigabyte ddr2 ram in dual channel. (i wont explane everything. google dual channel and ddr2 if you want to know what it does)
it is running 800 mhz. ddr meens double data rate. so 400 x 2 = 800 mhz.
it runs with cas latency 5-5-5-18. google cas latancy.

the motherboard is the board that hold it all together. the MSI is the brand. the k9n6pgm2-v2 is the name on the board. (dont know the ms-7309)
the (cpu1 i think meens that it can hold 1 cpu. (like most boards))

the graphic- lc27ho6o: it is your monitor (dont know why it says graphic. its more like: monitor). and the 1920x1080 meens thet it is an HD monitor.

ATI is the brand on your graphic card. (its called AMD radeon now) the 5600 series is the series of graphic cards it bellongs to.
it does not say witch card it is.

then i can se you have 2 harddrives and a indergraded sound card.

if you want to upgrade. i will go for a new graphic card as the first thing. the cpu is good anoth for YOU.

thank you very much for your reply, much appreciated. quick question, which graphics card do YOU think i should upgrade to, and how much would it cost? oh and i clicked the reputation button as well, i mean how could you not with such a helpful post?

no problem.
i can see waynesComputerS already answered your next question.
i personaly have the gtx 570 from evga. but i dont know if you are gonna need that power. you might be fine with just the gtx 560 or the 6950.
my card plays crysis 2 at HD and max graphic almost with NO lag what so ever. (lag = fps < 60) in some havy fights it can drob a bit.

Hi Nathan,

Few questions:
Have you already bought the PC?
Where about are you from UK / US?
Do you have a budget left to upgrade?

Some of the Graphics cards have been suggested are nice, but probably waay overpriced, compared to other parts of your build.

Personally, I wouldnt be putting a $330 Graphics card into a motherboard that costs $45, but hey.

Upgrade wise I would be looking at DDR3 memory, instead of DDR2. DDR3 Memory is newer technology, you get more performance, and in relation to the money you spend, you get more bang for your buck. However, doesnt look like your motherboard supports DDR3. If you havent already got the machine, I would get a better Motherboard.

The plus points of it that it can support the newer generation AMD Processors, and upto 8MB of RAM, which is what you would need to get a decent gaming rig.

So if we are working with what you've listed, the Operating system, Monitor, Hard Drive (depending on what type), CPU will all do you a job. The rest you could look at upgrading, depending on what you want to do / budget etc.

If you have the build already, have you tried it / played it. Is it slow? Fast? etc. Let us know.

Back
Top Bottom