Computer newb. Need help... Ram INstall

bluesi00

Solid State Member
i installed a 256 stick on my brothers old hewlett packard 8754c pavilion and it read the ram well, then i unplugged the computer and put it in my brothers room and for some reason it stopped reading it and it wont work anymore. i get a blank screen. i took the 256 back out and just left the original 64 and it works fine. what do u guys think is the problem??? :confused:

well the prolem ould be that somehow the RAM was shocked when u were moving it, or mayb there is some kind of compatibility issue with the 64MB and the 256. i don't see why this would be the problem but try swiching the RAM stick so that the 64MB is in the 1 the 256 was origionally in. or try just using the 256 stick. also check and make sure that the motherboard can handle the MHz of the new ram. tell me if ur still having problems and i will try and think of some more ideas

if someone can help me , or guide me to fixing this problem i'll paypal u 20 buck, it ain't much but i need this computer working asap. Thanks

no need to do that. because were here to help. maybe somehow water got on it? or cracked a pin, or maybe even the ram instellation messed with ur OS. what are you using anyway. xp home or pro? and are you sure thats the pins right. so u dont have too many, or too little?

Thanks : ) im sure the pins are right, and im using xp pro. no water or cracked pins. when the 256 and the 64 are both in it wont launch windows, but when i remove the 256 everything works fine.

I would say the stick has been shocked some how, make sure you have the right type of ram....

Also check that the ram stick port thingy is enabled in the BIOS. I have come across some strange BIOS's where they allow you to enable certain ram slots.

Also try only running the 256mb card...

good luck ^.^

Just put the 256MB stick in, remove the battery and put it back (when PSU is turned off) and try this. It could just be a simple clocking issue

this is the exact message i get:

640k ram passed
318m Extended Ram Passed
256 cache sram passed
system bios shadowed
video bios shadowed
umb upper limit segment address: e7b3
fixed disc 0: quantum fireball1ct15 30
system configuration data updated
error
0232: extended ram failed at offset 1b

hmmm that is odd...i don't know if this would make a different and i doubt it but try putting the RAM back into the anti-static plastic, if it come in it. i think that all RAM should have the anti-static protection. if not just find some1 that has it or if u have some extra lying around. i kept mine for all my things like motherboard and graphics card. did u try just the 256mb stick?

Back
Top Bottom