Computer lagging after thunderstorm

Try checking the voltages on your power supply. A similar incident happened to me earlier this year and I needed to replace the PS because of a power surge.

Ohhh....leaving your pc turned on in a thunderstorm is a bad bad idea. If in fact you have to replace your psu/motherboard, I would suggest getting a UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply). It's basically a big battery with plugs on it. It'll connect to your pc via usb and when the electricity goes out, it'll keep the pc on and automatically shut it down the right way so nothing gets damaged.

Even with a ups it's still a good idea to shut down and unplug. I would get the noaa link in to your favorites and check it a couple times a day. It's getting warmer and that means thunder storms. Taking a strike is not good as it can do permanent damage or kill the system. I would do a chkdsk from the command line and let it run on the next boot up. If any drive damage has been done you'll see it there. Then run sfc /scannow from the command line. There is a space between the c and the slash. Have your xp cd in the drive. This will repair or replace any protected xp system files.

Back
Top Bottom