computer keeps shutting off

TibsBeatAll

Daemon Poster
My computer keeps either restarting or shutting off every 3 minutes or so.

WHat is happening. THis is really confusing. i dont' thinik a whole reformat is in order. THere has to be some other problem. If you guys got suggestions, please feel free to add. Just nothing really dumb like, maybe you keep pressing the button. Cause i'm not.

THanks.

Re: damn computer keeps shutting off

Could you have problems with your mobo or something ... could you give us some specs of you computer ?

Look at his sig...
Could be a faulty power supply... did you check all connections? try a new one, if possible?

Haha nice tip jav006 ... sry i was at school then and the teacher was close by :D
Last time, this also happened to one of my friends ... i think it kept overheating but i am not sure ...

Here's my expereince with that. I remember a couple of years ago there was a virus that cause the PC to shut down every 3 minutes or close to that. I contracted it and caused me to do a reformat of the drive.

Alright, it could be one of several problems. The first problem that comes to mind is overheating. Most motherboards have a safety shutdown in case it gets to a certain temperature. Check your system temps to see if you're running hot. If you're not, check the BIOS to see what the shutdown temperature is. It might just be set too low.

The next thing I think of is the virus that TRD mentioned. More specifically, the "I Love You" virus. If you download all of the latest security patches from Windows Update (I don't know which patch actually fixes it, but you should be able to find out through a search of the knowledge base), it will be eliminated.

The final thing I can think of is a faulty power supply. This is probably the least likely of the three issues I'm describing, but still quite possible. Try running the system with another PSU to see if it makes a difference.

Back
Top Bottom