computer keeps powering off

mcgimlin

Beta member
my computer keeps powering off...sort of. I run Win XP home on my desktop. When i turn it on and log in, i have about 1 minute to get situated before the screen goes black and i get the "monitor self test" message box that says the monitor is working fine. The thing is, the green power light on the box is still lit. I have to hold down the power button for a few seconds to get it to completely power off, and then i turn it on, log in, and go thru the exact same thing again...every time. any thoughts? oh, and i got the computer in feb of 2004, and it's a gateway, if that makes any difference.

I think I have some ideas, but I want to know more about the comptuer.

Particularly how much RAM, model of your video card, any changes you have made recently, and if the fans on the computer are clear of dust.

If you don't know how to answer these questions, tell us the model of gateway you have, and any upgrades you have done to the system.

Gateway 310, Pentium 4, 2.6 mhz
NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 graphics card
512 mb ram

no changes made in the last 6 months, fan is free of dust and fuzzies

Have you upgraded video card drivers or other drivers also have you installed any other programs before it started doing this or any updates

Ok, I'm assuming your comptuer has on-board video in addition to your 5200. If you could take your 5200 out of the system (It is normally installed in the top-most expansion slot) and plug your monitor into the on-board video. Turn your computer on and see if you get any issues.

Back
Top Bottom